Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IFD440 / IFD540

The GTX330ES serial interface for ADS-B+ uses a Garmin proprietary protocol on an RS232 interface. This is supported currently only by the Garmin GNS 400W/500W series and the GTN series. It is also supported by the G1000 if the manufacturer has updated to the latest software. As far as I am aware, only some of the Piper models support this along with the Garmin King Air G1000 Retrofit. It is my understanding that Free Flight developed support for its 1201 position source to drive the GTX330ES under a license agreement with Garmin. Trig reverse engineered the interface and has obtained an FAA STC to use the GNS400W/500W series ADSB + serial interface as a position source. Other manufacturers are taking the same reverse engineering path.

KUZA, United States

The Trig UK website only mentions (as of Aug 26th):

Garmin GNS and GTN series GPS units are also compatible with Trig transponders. FAA STC approval for these units is expected soon.

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

As far as I am aware, only some of the Piper models support this along with the Garmin King Air G1000 Retrofit.

The .15 G1000 software in the PA-46 supports the 33ES with ADS-B out. It is not yet official ADS-B however that is more a paperwork exercise than anything else. For the 330ES and the 430/530 units you require the upgrade to 330ES and a serial link to the radios to get a WAAS position source.

EGTK Oxford

I see one of the US discounters has dropped the price to $13.5k…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just come out on US sites – these are now FAA certified

The certification also covers new firmware to address the recent FAA AD.

This box is meant to be a plug-in replacement for a GNS430 / 430W.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That means, certified in the US, not in EASA Land yet I reckon?

How about the IFD540, is that one certifiied under EASA yet?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

FAA certified. I’ll make a step in between and will get 2 × 430W another guy is taking out of his Cirrus for the IFD440 … half the price and WAAS too.

A wise step I’d reckon. Let others discover the teething problems first.

If you are used to the 430, you’ll love the “W”. The difference is not that big at first sight, but it is much faster to react due to the better processor and has goodies like holdings and other stuff the normal 430 doesn’t have.

Did you sell your old 430’s by now?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I can’t imagine they will sell many, it’s appears to be more expensive than the Garmin GTN

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message