Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What does really affect the maintenance costs most?

are the existing maintenance companies outright evil or is it fear of repercussion

For as little as I know this “playing field”, it seems clear to me that maintenance companies are, just like owners/operators of type certified planes, driven into more and more desperate measures to keep up operating. All in the so called interests of safety &c &c

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Peter,

A more tricky question and perhaps more relevant to most owners is how to control costs if you are not personally involved in doing the actual work.

By having the good fortune of having a company whose people you know and trust.

For me, this has always been a winning scenario, as well in cars as well as in airplanes.

My maintenance company is headed by a guy whom I trust to do the best for me, the most economical AND safe way. He is good at that, a real winner in this marketplace. For me, being able to walk into that workshop, watching what is done and getting involved in the process of decision when something has to be done is worth a lot.

Secondly, I never buy new.

An airplane with a few thousand hours has some sort of a maintenance history which I can read, look at and see if I can envision to take on this kind of undertaking. Before I bought my plane, i looked at several other types as well and was put off by the recurring maintenance costs, by certain systems or avionics I saw right there were cash eaters and stayed away. Finally I found what was right for ME.

Same things again with cars. I have never yet owned a new car, not because I could not, but because I don’t want to. Apart from the huge loss of value in the first years, a car which has been well maintained is a much more known quantity than a new one whose flaws have yet to be detected.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

By having the good fortune of having a company whose people you know and trust.

I agree very much, but I would emphasise the word “fortune”

It’s not common to have that fortune here in the UK, though I think most people who operate basic GA types and don’t do anything too unusual (e.g. fly in -20C which makes the gunge they stuffed into the elevator trim freeze up solid) seem to manage “OK”.

Last Edited by Peter at 19 May 13:52
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EASA Part M is intended by design to remove control from the owner

And this is why I shall never own a CofA aircraft (unless it is N-reg).

Andreas IOM

The main driver of maintenance costs is owner attitude, those who stick to one reputable maintenance provider get a steady but reasonable cost of maintenance.

Those ( usually group owned aircraft) who look for the cheapest maintenance company’s persuade them to defer defects until next year and then repeat the process just build up problems until a maintenance company refuses to release the aircraft with all the defects that have accumulated. But this time the bill for rectification is astronomic.

What now follows is a big punch up between the owners and the maintenance company over the cost of the work, the aircraft now up to scratch moves to another maintenance company who are willing to defer items they of course present a low bill for the annual because the previous maintenance company had sorted out all the major issues and the whole cycle starts over again.

At about this point the owners of what was an under maintained death trap will tell anyone who will listen that maintenance company #1 are an expensive bunch who do invent work and that maintenance company #2 are wonderful and work in the best interest of the customer.

I now don’t deal with any one who is looking to save money in the short term by bringing an aircraft to us because I know it will end in tears, if a potential customer turns up with an old dog we will agree a plan of action before we start…………. or we don’t start.

It should be remembered that the short term savings in maintenance only end in a very low resale value and eventually bigger maintenance bills.

The biggest single thing that an owner can do without any input form others is to keep his aircraft in a hangar, the reduction in corrosion, UV damage, damp electrics and mould in the upholstery will make hangarage cost neutral in the long run.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 02 Jun 09:25

Those ( usually group owned aircraft) who look for the cheapest maintenance company’s persuade them to defer defects until next year and then repeat the process just build up problems until a maintenance company refuses to release the aircraft with all the defects that have accumulated. But this time the bill for rectification is astronomic.

Seems to be one of those typical UK things.
Never heard of such stories (people shopping around for the cheapest shop with a barely airworthy aircraft) anywhere else.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

QuoteThe main driver of maintenance costs is owner attitude, those who stick to one reputable maintenance provider get a steady but reasonable cost of maintenance.

We had a local maintenance company we were happy with. The owner retired, and no-one took over. We found a new maintenance company we were happy with, an hour flying away. Their wood & fabric guy left, so they could no longer do Jodels. We had several unhappy years with the next company, also an hour flight away, before trying one 3 hours flying away. They did a “Star Annual”. The PTT was wrongly connected, the dual throttles had a loose fitting, and locked solid, in the air, after about 6 hours. The gascolator washer soon leaked badly. Both these firms left the wood and fabric aircraft outside, despite saying it would hangared – the water inside told the tale. Thank God we went on a permit after that.
PS There is now a local maintenance organisation started up. I suspect the farther away you are, the more likely you will get poor service.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh

I think you have been unlucky with maintenance companies but the service reflects the rewards that the companies can attract for their work, it is very difficult to make any money at the Jodel end of the market because most of the owners simply think that because they are enthusiasts and it is a hobby then the maintenance company should think that way and charge them next to nothing.

The result is that the maintenance company has a choice they change their customers, they change their business model or they go bust.

A friend of mine in the motor trade has the same problem, he won’t touch an MG because he has exactly the same problems with MG owners as aviation companies have with people at the Jodel end of the market.

Please don’t take these remarks personally, I’ve never met you or had any dealings with your aircraft but take a good look around and ask yourself if you think you could make a living at the Jodel end of the maintenance market ? ………..

Nobody who has ever worked on my certified aircraft during my ownership has been making their living doing it. Mostly it’s been a guy who makes his living as a tech rep for a turbine engine company, having graduated to that after 20 years turning wrenches. Now he makes well into six figures and works on his and his friends planes too, in his spare time. Its an entirely valid model where nonsensical law doesn’t prevent it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Jun 06:24

Silvaire

There is no reason that an owner can’t work on his own aircraft, most don’t want to, some don’t have the ability, and some don’t have the time.

We are happy with supervised owner maintenance up to a point but you can’t expect to fix your aircraft in a company’s hangar using their tools, staff and not pay to do so.

But the biggest problem with owner maintenance is quality control, I once rejected an owners work on the grounds that it was substandard to a point of being dangerous and all I got was months of trouble and abuse from the guy, he did the rounds of the local maintenance companies and eventually fell out with them all.

Sign in to add your message