Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Led lighting (merged)

Yes, it makes perfect sense when put this way.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

While we are all talking about it, here’s a newbie owner question.

I’d bought a Wheelen LED landing light from a friendly forumite (for the sake of the discussion here, @By9468840, do you recall the exact model type?). We have installed it on the Arrow and then brought the airplane in to the maintenance shop for the annual/100 h where it currently sits.

From my point of view, this needs to be signed-off by the mechanic (as IMO this is covered by EASA CS-SC031b, but here it says: “This SC is not suitable for release to service by the Pilot-owner.”).

The mechanic now says he can’t sign off unless he receives proper paperwork and on request, mentioned he needs the FAA form 8130-3, which I currently do not have. Is he correct? Or is it enough to get a copy of the PMA supplement for the type that can be downloaded on the Wheelen website?

I can’t get my head around this yet…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Patrick wrote:

The mechanic now says he can’t sign off unless he receives proper paperwork and on request, mentioned he needs the FAA form 8130-3, which I currently do not have. Is he correct? Or is it enough to get a copy of the PMA supplement for the type that can be downloaded on the Wheelen website?

There is no need for any paperwork for the landing light itself. As an Arrow is an ELA2 aircraft, it can be installed on owner authority. See e.g. my article about it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The Whelen ones do let water in

but it is obvious that they would; they are not sealed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Who cares ? Your plane looks 10 years younger, isn’t that the point of LEDs ?

LFOU, France

For N-registered there’s a lot of paperwork as well, if they don’t fit the exact initial design. All the visibility angles of the navigation lights need to be measured and they must match or exceed the original specifications.

Landing lights? Simple swap with any LED model.

Whelen Orion 650E on a TB20:

LRIA, Romania

EASA STCs for LED landing lights on a Cessna 172

I’ve just been told there are no EASA STCs for LED landing lights on a Cessna 172. If that is true, then I wonder what the S in EASA stands for…

Does anyone know any differently?

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

CS-STAN allows exchange of conventional anti-col, position, landing and taxi lights to LED lights.

United Kingdom

Pirho wrote:

CS-STAN allows exchange of conventional anti-col, position, landing and taxi lights to LED lights.

Yes, and unlike anticollision and position lights, landing lights for light aircraft are not subject to any special certification and/or ETSO.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Correct. There is no need for an STC when there is a CS-STAN in place. Look it up and follow the instructions.

ESSZ, Sweden
Sign in to add your message