Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

VALID FROM 04.01.2018, 0000 UTC UNTIL UNL

ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE 5(4) OF THE COMMISSION REGULATION (EU)
1079/2012 FROM 01 JANUARY 2018 AN OPERATOR SHALL NOT OPERATE AN
AIRCRAFT IN THE AIRSPACE WHERE CARRIAGE OF RADIO IS REQUIRED
UNLESS THE AIRCRAFT RADIO EQUIPMENT HAS THE 8.33KHZ CHANNEL
SPACING CAPABILITY.

THIS PROVISION APPLIES TO AIRCRAFT OPERATED
IN THE CONTROLLED AIRSPACE OF NORWAY, SWITZERLAND AND EU MEMBER
STATES CONSEQUENTLY, FROM 04 JANUARY 2018 (AIRAC 1801), NON-8.33
EQUIPPED IFR OPERATED FLIGHTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN THE AIRSPACE
OF THE FOLLOWING STATES:
AUSTRIA
BELGIUM
CZECH REPUBLIC
DENMARK
LATVIA
LUXEMBOURG
MALTA (EXCEPT LOCAL TRAFFIC WITHIN TMA)
POLAND

SPECIFIC CONDITIONS ARE APPLICABLE FOR THE OTHER STATES. FLIGHT
OPERATORS ARE REQUIRED TO CHECK NATIONAL AIP’S BEFORE OPERATING
IN THESE STATES.

OPERATION OF NON-8.33 EQUIPPED STATE AIRCRAFT IN THE AIRSPACE OF
NORWAY, SWITZERLAND AND EU MEMBER STATES, BELOW FL 195 IS
PERMITTED UNDER SPECIFIC CONDITIONS.

OPERATORS ARE REQUIRED TO CHECK NATIONAL AIPS, IFPS USERS MANUAL SECTION 47, 8.33 KHZ SPACING CHANNEL HAS BEEN UPDATED. UPDATE CAN BE ACCESSED VIA THE NOP PORTAL, TACTICAL TAB, FLIGHT PLANNING, NM FLIGHT PLANNING DOCUMENTATION, FLIGHT PLANNING.

THE LIST OF STATES IN WHICH 8.33 EQUIPMENT IS MANDATORY WILL BE UPDATED BY ADDITIONAL AIMS
NMOC BRUSSELLS

Slovakia

supik wrote:

VALID FROM 04.01.2018, 0000 UTC UNTIL UNL
This is a NOTAM? Issued by whom?

CONSEQUENTLY, FROM 04 JANUARY 2018 (AIRAC 1801), NON-8.33
EQUIPPED IFR OPERATED FLIGHTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN THE AIRSPACE
OF THE FOLLOWING STATES:
AUSTRIA
BELGIUM
CZECH REPUBLIC
DENMARK
LATVIA
LUXEMBOURG
MALTA (EXCEPT LOCAL TRAFFIC WITHIN TMA)
POLAND

I don’t understand this. What singles out these states from other EU member states and in what way? E.g. why is not Germany and the Netherlands included in this list!?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 23 Jan 08:19
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Sweden has also started the conversion of ground frequencies to 8.33. There is an AIC with the schedule.

Looking at that schedule, 100% of the stations are “converting” to the same frequency, just with the corresponding 8.33 channel number. I wonder what is the actual significance of this for the pilot:
The pilot transmitting will be transmitting the same signal whether on 25kHz og 8.33. No difference.
The pilot will be receiving the same signal, whether any of the two has 8.33 equipment or not. The only difference for the pilot will be the possible risk of interference from future, adjacent 8.33 frequencies.
The ground station will be transmitting the same signal whether on 25kHz og 8.33. No difference.
The ground station will be receiving the same signal, whether the airplane uses 8.33 equipment or not. The risk of interference in the ground station receiver will be tiny as any of the (more powerful) ground stations will have to very close to give any interference.

So the ground station will never know if the pilot uses 8.33 equipment or not, and the risk of the pilot having problems from that seems remote, at least for now.
And the pilot will never know if the ground station has changed to using 8.33 equipment, or if the schedule is just a paper excercise.

Last Edited by huv at 23 Jan 10:44
huv
EKRK, Denmark

huv wrote:

Looking at that schedule, 100% of the stations are “converting” to the same frequency, just with the corresponding 8.33 channel number. I wonder what is the actual significance of this for the pilot:
Actually one of the stations is getting a different frequency — but even that one will be a 8.33 channel on a 25 kHz frequency. I guess the situation will be similar in most countries outside central Europe.

The significance for the pilot is that they (s)he will now be told to “Contact Bromma Tower One One Eight decimal One Zero Fife” and should dial 118.105 on the radio.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

huv wrote:

Looking at that schedule, 100% of the stations are “converting” to the same frequency, just with the corresponding 8.33 channel number.

Here in Czech Republic, which is an early adopter of the 8.33 regulation, the figure is about 90%, and a few stations like PRAGUE INFORMATION are staying on 25 kHz channels. Thus, most VFR flights in uncontrolled airspace remain unaffected for practical purposes. However, this is not the case for discreet frequencies assigned by ATC to aircraft under IFR.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Airborne_Again wrote:

[…] and should dial 118.105 on the radio.

Officially… yes… but dialing 118.100 on the radio will also work just fine, even on a 8.33 radio.

I wonder how long it will take before the controllers to stop pronouncing “.105” and eventually give up and just say “.1”.

Last Edited by Dimme at 23 Jan 12:04
ESME, ESMS

a question to UK folks – when are you finally finishing the change to 8.33 ? Looks there are still some 25khz…

LKKU, LKTB

Dimme wrote:

I wonder how long it will take before the controllers to stop pronouncing “.105” and eventually give up and just say “.1”.

They won’t. That just isn’t how it works. 8.33 is here. You may not like it but just accept it.

EGTK Oxford

Can you post detail, Jason?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I always hear ### l### from controllers and FISOs, for a long time now.
After being told by Oban to contact 127.275, one panicking guy replied his radio only had 127.27.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message