Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

The trig with an adaptor/harness is getting close to a slot in Icom though @£1300, my friend had one slot straight in an existing tray for a king I think, £1650 he paid? Actually I just had a lightbulb moment, the aircraft is still with the maintenance org, so maybe i can go a day earlier to them to fit one with them checking over the work while waiting for the ARC to be printed? The remote head on the Trigg looks like it may be worth having as the hole that makes sense is the lower right in the panel where an ADF normally resides, but Mendelsohn’s are quoting 10 weeks lead time for a harness!!!!! I am not familiar with the back of the panel yet on this aircraft, AA5A Cheetah 1979 model? Just to be clear, the aircraft is on the G Reg, so not sure how the certs etc work in the different countries of this united union we are in! For example I know it will mean a call to the UK CAA who are acting as agents for OFCOM To amend the radio licence which has to be made out in the new owners name, not transferable! An amendment to the weight and balance, but maybe under a negligible amount?
Thanks for your input.

10 minutes early is on time!
Biggin Hill, Fishburn, EGNG

Grumman wrote:

quoting 10 weeks lead time for a harness!!!!! I am not familiar with the back of the panel yet on this aircraft, AA5A Cheetah 1979 model?

Don’t know what’s behind your panel, but behind mine it looks quite disorganised, with lots of clumsy afterthoughts added during avionics upgrades.
10 weeks for a harness makes no sense whatsoever, the avionics guy who has been servicing my Grumman (1979 Tiger) would probably make one from scratch in a day (assuming he is not busy elsewhere) – drop me a line if you want me to ask him. He lives in Berkshire. I think he may also be able to get you a good price on a Trig, or so he told me a while ago.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 13 Nov 13:06
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

10 weeks for a harness makes no sense whatsoever, the avionics guy who has been servicing my Grumman (1979 Tiger) would probably make one from scratch in a day (assuming he is not busy elsewhere)

And that is exactly the problem – the engineers at Harry’s are snowed under with people wanting last minute 8.33 radios and harnesses – there is only so much work you can do in one day – so yes – they are busy elsewhere.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 13 Nov 16:42
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

In most other industries this situation would be laughed out of the meeting! BUT this is aviation!
So here we are, faced with the need for radios we can’t use for half the time, but mandated by the Gnocchi’s! Ireland say na, UK say Handheld ok, Belgium say full compliance etc etc (This is in EASA land after all). Meantime we have the Mode S TMZ at Stansted with letters of agreement meaning inbound to N/W from the east with Alpha OK, but departure to the west in the same aircraft that is actually within the EXTREMELY SMALL piece of airspace not legal without certain clearances, which can easily take as much time as it does to clear the space concerned! Experience talking here! For another thread possibly: How do the people who make the worst decisions always seem to get to make the decisions?
As a police approved advanced licence holder, I give you "Roundabouts……………………………………………..to make traffic flow more seamless…………………………………………ok………………………………………………………….lets chuck in a few RANDOM light signals, you know we need a bit more pollution from these POINTLESSLY IDLING VEHICLES RIGHT?

10 minutes early is on time!
Biggin Hill, Fishburn, EGNG

Grumman.

The avionics industry is in meltdown at the moment with all the late adopters on 8.33 fighting for the very limited resources of a small industry. My guess is the TRIG is the best answer to your problems but you won’t get it done this side of March 2018.

My advice is to get a handheld 8.33 and take the antenna line from one of your old comm radios and get a connector from it put in the panel, connect the hand held to this and you will get good TX & RX range while you wait for someone to fit a trig into your Aircraft.

The final result will be a very good reliable radio fit in the panel backed up by a good standby if the Aircraft electrics go belly up.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 17 Nov 21:58

I have just heard from another pilot that Belgium is enforcing 8.33 as of 1st Jan 2018, i.e. 4 days ago, and their CAA requires everybody to be 8.33 compliant. Apparently a lot of pilots, notably a number of G-regs, are getting caught with their trousers down…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

[ local copy ]

That’s a laugh! After forcing so many pilots to spend so much money on 8.33.

I wonder what Portugal Spain and Italy are doing?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Germany looks to be HOT on the 8.33 “trip”
just a few samples!!!!

EDGG EDFI AIR/GROUND FACILITY OPERATING FREQUENCIES CHANGED E2967/17
From 01 Jan 2018 00:00 until PERM
HIRZENHAIN INFO, FREQ CHG TO 118.3250MHZ (CH 118.330).

EDMK AERODROME CONTROL TOWER OPERATING FREQUENCIES CHANGED E2727/17
From 01 Jan 2018 00:00 until 31 Mar 2018 23:00
KEMPTEN INFORMATION FREQ CHANGED TO 124.000 MHZ

i think CZ is all 8.33 about 1 month ago i could only use 8.33 for the fields i visited

fly2000

Sweden has also started the conversion of ground frequencies to 8.33. There is an AIC with the schedule.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message