Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

Not yet required – only Eindhoven use 8.33kHz frequencies at the moment. The rest of the country is scheduled to follow by 2017. Next in line will be DutchMil

Link

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 25 Feb 10:54
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Dutchmil uses already 128.355

EBST, Belgium

So what happens then in practical terms if I tell Dutch Mil “negative 8.33”? I just want to land at Lelystad before continuing to Germany, VFR…..

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

128.355 is the Dutchmil Radar frequency.
VFR traffic is supposed to contact 132.350
But since it’s class E airspace you can fly there NORDO.

If you PM me your e-mail address I can mail you the exact transition dates. But as far as the typical VFR GA flyer is concerned:

During 2015 the military CTRs and TMAs will be converted. EHEH was the first, on Jan. 8th. This means you currently cannot land at EHEH, or transit the EHEH CTR/TMA, without an 8.33 kHz radio. There’s also a handful of civil frequencies that will be converted during 2015, but these are typically not required on your average VFR flight.

During 2016 the civil CTRs and TMAs will be converted. Quite a lot of those actually early 2016 already, if the current plan doesn’t change.

All uncontrolled fields need to be converted by september 2017 latest.

Can anybody explain in simple terms why it is judged necessary to have 2,280 channels for aviation communication?

Can anybody explain in simple terms why it is judged necessary to have 2,280 channels for aviation communication?

No

EGEO

Because Countries don’t want to give up frequency allocation authority in favor of a more efficient central management.

If every state or even county in the US wanted to allocate frequencies, you’d need 2280 COM channels as well

LSZK, Switzerland

Because Countries don’t want to give up frequency allocation authority in favor of a more efficient central management.

I kind of understood that, but not the numbers. If each country assigns its own frequencies without central coordination, and each has (let’s say) 200 assignments to make, doesn’t that mean only 200 frequencies are needed in the theoretical sense? Of course that might cause problems because neighboring countries might assign the same frequency in close geographical proximity, so it seems there has to be some kind of coordination. What am I missing? Thanks much.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Feb 22:20

If every state or even county in the US wanted to allocate frequencies, you’d need 2280 COM channels as well

You would need 1kHz channel spacing then

And some interesting oscillator design, though a TCXO would be OK.

so it seems there has to be some kind of coordination

There must indeed be some coordination – to eliminate conflicts across national frontiers. But probably not beyond that, because 8.33 would never be needed if frequency allocation was done centrally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message