Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

Back to the subject……………..it looks like I will soon have two KX165A 8.33 units for sale………… Any one interested ?

My airways rental steed has not been upgraded – I was hoping that 8.33 kHz was not been used in anger low level, but from the thread London may require you to use it.

OCAS (A,B,C) it is then – I assume the safety impact of more aircraft in IMC not under positive control did not faze them.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

BTW, last week I had my first encounter with an 8.33 frequency sector below FL195 in Germany (Cologne area at FL110). Legalities aside, it is definitely becoming a problem flying IFR in Europe without that gear.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Apr 17:56
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for the info bosco. I was initially going to delay an 8.33 install till the end of the year. Decided last week to bite the bullet anyway and install a gnc255 to replace the KX155 Nav/com2 last week…Flying through Germany IFR looks indeed to become impossible now in practical terms that is with 25khz radios

Last Edited by Vref at 01 Apr 19:43
EBST

I haven’t switched my GNS430W to 8.33kHz yet because it is such a PITA to tune in frequencies by turning the knob forever. I have to try how long it takes to switch to 8.33kHz in-flight.

There’s still 121.5 MHz which should work with all ATC units

I have to try how long it takes to switch to 8.33kHz in-flight.

Seven seconds. Four, if you know your menus very well But I don’t bother any more, 8,33 it is and 8,33 it stays.

EDDS - Stuttgart

It really only takes a few seconds with the GNS. I keep it at 25 Khz all the time and only switch once an 8.33 frequency is given to me. Happens very rarely still (below FL195).

If I had a G1000, I would possibly keep it at 8.33. The knob “senses” the force that is used when turning it and adjusts the tuning speed accordingly.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Apr 20:22

So … for flying to EDNY next week do you recommend to switch GNS to 8.33?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Not really. Just do it “on the spot” once you are being handed off to an 8.33 frequency. After all, below FL200, that is still rather unlikely to happen…

What about flight plan? If I don’t file Y in the equipment list can they hand me to 8.33 frequency or they simply don’t red this?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message