Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft tug (merged)

+1 for the lazy Susan it avoids stressing the nose wheel when manouvering the airctaft in tight spaces.

France

I had (have…) a Redline Sidewinder but was unhappy with the interface with the nosewheel (not enough friction when wet, would sometimes “peel off” the rubber of the tire rather than turn the wheel…) and replaced it by a lazy susan Tow Flexx TF3, although that is a whole different budget. Looks like a TF1 would work well if no tight manoeuvring is called for.

ELLX

Jacko wrote:

The AC Air Technology T1V2 tug seems to work reasonably well on snow with our resident Husky and with this (~700 kg empty weight) Jodel.

@Jacko posted this here nearly two years ago. I don’t see any reaction to it since. Our flying club has acquired a T1X2 recently and I’ve been quite favourably impressed. It can pull a light twin (Tecnam P2006) up a considerable slope. It also works very well on “polished” concrete or over raised sliding hangar door tracks which are a challenge for single wheel tugs.

There web site is Here .

Last Edited by chflyer at 12 Nov 20:16
LSZK, Switzerland

Gosh, is it really two years? Anyway, my AC T1V2 is still going strong on a mixture of bare concrete, gravel and painted chipboard (the hangar floor). It rides bumps and ridges up to about an inch high with no trouble. I don’t know how Loco managed to break his AC tug, but I’ve absolutely no complaint about mine.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I know a good tug is much cheaper than back surgery, but I’m struggling to justify 6k USD for a tug to move someone else’s aircraft so I can fly. I keep hoping for a cheaper solution that will work. It seems that there are some trailer moving robots coming on the market, and hopefully we can leverage them to do something cheaper for moving aircraft.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Yes, a good radio-controlled tug is a substantial investment and “buy good stuff and cry once” is sometimes easier said than done. But the improvement in quality of life is such that it’s hard to imagine regretting it.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Yes, a good radio-controlled tug is a substantial investment and “buy good stuff and cry once” is sometimes easier said than done. But the improvement in quality of life is such that it’s hard to imagine regretting it.

You are probably right. I recently saw that the AC Technology tugs are more modular so replacement of failed parts won’t require shipping back 80kg to California after it breaks. The Best Tugs seem to also be very well-made, and the guys that run that operation seem to be straight shooters. I met one of them this year at OSH and even though he is “youtube famous”, he seemed like a very nice and genuine person, and really knows his products.

I was hoping to see how these hold up after a few years – I need one of the robots due to the very tight space between my aircraft and the one I need to move, but I have a feeling that 2 months after I buy one the guy will change hangars, and I’ll be looking to sell it!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

If you want to see one in action and ask about experience @eurogaguest1980, come on over to Speck. They use one for all the club aircraft in the east hangar, so it gets lots of use although I don’t think they’ve had it that long. The new rule forbidding taxing up across the road to the hangar has only been put in place this year. You should be able to find someone to give you feedback.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

If you want to see one in action and ask about experience @eurogaguest1980, come on over to Speck. They use one for all the club aircraft in the east hangar, so it gets lots of use although I don’t think they’ve had it that long. The new rule forbidding taxing up across the road to the hangar has only been put in place this year. You should be able to find someone to give you feedback.

Thanks – will try to get over there if the weather improves a bit. I can’t imagine a better testing environment than a flying club!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

This is BS.

GA does not need “certified” tugs.

BTW, there is a shift key on your keyboard

Usage

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message