Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

100UL (merged thread)

Peter wrote:

Removing TEL and adding nothing gives you 91UL.

Yes, that’s what I meant.

Peter wrote:

Maybe, but MOGAS is rare in much of Europe, and the “mogas is what you get by filling jerrycans at a petrol station” community can do that only with very small planes.

There is absolutely nothing preventing anyone to keep 330l can on a small trailer. That’s what we do at ENVA (AVGAS and Jet is done by the airport itself). They even make special cans for this with electric pump, pistol and everything. 330l won’t go all that far, but it certainly beats jerrycans by orders of magnitude. A step up from there requires more bureaucracy, but 2-3k liters (I believe) is no problem on a dedicated trailer. At ENOP (a private strip in the middle of the mountains in Norway) we have AVGAS, MOGAS (in a 2-3k liter can) and Jet-A1. And the fuel is it’s cheaper than on the continent. I would be very surprised if all the UL fields in lets say Italy, don’t have similar arrangements for their mogas.

Peter wrote:

Also car petrol has all kinds of crap in it these days; try starting a generator after say 6 months…

All this is 99% FUD. A week ago I started my own lawnmower I haven’t been using for years since I got a robot. Bang, started first stroke with the old gasoline in the tank. What could be a ting is winter blend vs summer blend. Using winter blend in the summer, may cause vapor lock. It’s therefore not a hugely good idea to have a large tank with mogas, unless you are sure it is summer blend. But of course, mogas can consist of many things, however nothing that will effect combustion in any sort of way. The specifications for mogas is only octane numbers anyway. And there are also these “environmental friendly” alkylate fuels. These can in principle be made with almost any octane number you want, but compared with gasoline, they are not cheap.

I just wonder what that G100UL is, and why they are so secretive about it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Airborne_Again wrote:

They say mixing is prohibited.

That’s not a good sign regarding the chemistry of that fuel.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

There is absolutely nothing preventing anyone to keep 330l can on a small trailer.

That is highly country specific Probably highly Norway-specific. Check this out.

That’s not a good sign regarding the chemistry of that fuel.

Very tricky; how can one possibly transition to it without having some mixing in the fuel system? IMHO this is a total non-starter.

@George_Braly signed up on EuroGA, years ago

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Very tricky; how can one possibly transition to it without having some mixing in the fuel system? IMHO this is a total non-starter.

I don’t see how that is a major issue? Mixing with other AVGAS types is ok.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Aug 15:30
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

That is highly country specific

It’s EU specific actually. It’s an Italian company making these 330 liters “barrels”.

Airborne_Again wrote:

I don’t see how that is a major issue? Mixing with other AVGAS types is ok.

Reminds me of T-Stoff and C-Stoff. Never mix, unless you mean to

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

That is highly country specific Probably highly Norway-specific

This should be regulated by ADR 1.1.3.1

The provisions laid down in ADR do not apply to:
(a) The carriage of dangerous goods by private individuals where the goods in question are
packaged for retail sale and are intended for their personal or domestic use or for their leisure
or sporting activities provided that measures have been taken to prevent any leakage of
contents in normal conditions of carriage. When these goods are flammable liquids carried in
refillable receptacles filled by, or for, a private individual, the total quantity shall not exceed 60
litres per receptacle and 240 litres per transport unit. Dangerous goods in IBCs, large
packagings or tanks are not considered to be packaged for retail sale;
(c) The carriage undertaken by enterprises which is ancillary to their main activity, such as
deliveries to or returns from building or civil engineering sites, or in relation to surveying,
repairs and maintenance, in quantities of not more than 450 litres per packaging, including
intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) and large packagings, and within the maximum quantities
specified in 1.1.3.6. Measures shall be taken to prevent any leakage of contents in normal
conditions of carriage.

EETU, Estonia

ivark wrote:

This should be regulated by ADR 1.1.3.1

Yes, but only as an individual private person.

There is another exemption for a company/organisation that transports fuel as a part of the main business. A flying club transporting fuel for their business is obviously such an organisation. This exemption is good for 333 l of gasoline or 1000 (or 445) l of diesel/paraffin etc (fuel oil).

Point c above.

Lots of different vendors, but we have this tank (the 330 l in the back):

Last Edited by LeSving at 01 Aug 20:24
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think the IOM (and UK limits are the same) on transporting or storing fuel (not in a car or plane’s fuel tank) is extremely restrictive – I think you’re not allowed to store/transport more than 5L without a licence. Of course no one really pays much attention to that, and plenty of boaters and pilots will fill a few jerry cans for their boat/microlight/plane.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

I think the IOM (and UK limits are the same) on transporting or storing fuel (not in a car or plane’s fuel tank) is extremely restrictive – I think you’re not allowed to store/transport more than 5L without a licence. Of course no one really pays much attention to that, and plenty of boaters and pilots will fill a few jerry cans for their boat/microlight/plane.

I’ve heard that said before but never seen a reference to the law.

Of course as you say it is widely ignored and enforcement is zero, if it’s even true. Where I live in rural Oxfordshire, just about every garage/shed contains a 20L jerry can for fuelling lawnmowers, chainsaws etc and usually a few of the smaller plastic ones.

I can’t help feeling that if it really were illegal to store/transport more than 5L without a licence then petrol stations would ask to see my licence when I fill my jerry can up?

EGLM & EGTN

I thought it was 20L but this from the HSE says differently

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message