Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Maintenance in Italy

The difference seems to be the FAA trusts the professionals working in the field, in particular the A&P mechanic.
The EASA distrusts the professional people, but trusts the documentation (large amounts of paper) – which can be, and is, compromised, of course.

It may work for maintaining large fleets of large commercial aviation, it is a buerocratic nightmare for small GA.

EDM_, Germany

.The FAA doesn’t mandate parts traceability for installation in certified aircraft? And parts must not conform to acceptable or approved standards and designs?

As I and others have posted many many times, an FAA A&P has the authority (for Part 91) to inspect a part and determine airworthiness.

This means that in most cases you avoid the European Form 1 runaround / moneymaking machinery. In fact no paperwork at all is needed in most cases. The result is a saving of 2x to 10x on parts costs. Of course this goes together with a freelance mechanic who prefers customer-supplied parts otherwise (if he’s fairly successful) he will soon get pushed into the mandatory VAT registration area. A maintenance company greatly prefers to supply parts because they make some 25% just by ordering them.

And, to bring this on topic, this has even more value in countries where, shall we say, you have less of an “ecosystem”. I would expect the “ecosystem” in Italy to be less than stellar – evident from my business dealings with Italian firms which is a story over a beer or two The plus side is that DHL etc do deliver there

The difference seems to be the FAA trusts the professionals working in the field, in particular the A&P mechanic.
The EASA distrusts the professional people, but trusts the documentation (large amounts of paper) – which can be, and is, compromised, of course.

Yes; that is the European way everywhere. Same in business: ROHS, REACH, WEEE, ISOxxxxxxx, you name it, moneymaking/marketing BS everywhere. And half the pages in a typical trade magazine are taken by compliance services companies. Mind you, the US is just as capable when there is enough political pressure and too few people with a brain are around to ask the right questions: the Conflict Minerals Act

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message