Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rotax 912s versus Rotax 914

“(pushing cold fuel from the bottom level of the tank upwards to the fuel pressure regulator).”
All aircraft take fuel from just above the drain sump.
For vapour lock the gascolator position with respect to engine heat is important.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Thank you guys for all the info.
It’s really useful and I really appreciate the time spent answering.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Maoraigh wrote:

All aircraft take fuel from just above the drain sump.
For vapour lock the gascolator position with respect to engine heat is important.

The problem with vapour lock in the Rotax 912 S installations is (often), that fuel is sucked all the way through the hot engine compartement to the mechanical pump at the very front of the engine. Both pumps and gascolators are supplied with cold fuel at the very bottom behind the tank in the Europa (and maybe different in other aircraft…)

EDLE

About the MCR4, what is to be taken care is empty weight, it changes a lot with the models, and what made a difference (on the one I looked at) is the propeller. MT prop (21 to 27kg what I heard) are very heavy compared to E-props fixed pitch. E-Props can also be changed on the ground to be repurposed, but I admit I would not want to change the pitch at every flight. E-props is also sellign a VP prop (“glorieuse”, 7kg), and they can do it for an MCR4s but it looks like it has not been done. As a major change, it has to be agreed by SE-Aviation.

The problem with MT ones is that you get a front centered plane, and usually builder is putting heavy batteries behind the seat to get it centered correctly, which leads to more than 380kg empty weight. A 912 base MCR with simple avionics shouldn’t be heavier than 360…
914 based MCR4s are not that heavier than 912 ones, as soon as you compre them with the same prop. With the 915, it’s another story because you get over 400kg.
Wrt the MTOW, the best bargain is the 914 – from what I think…

LFMD, France

Hmm, my MT 3-blade C/S prop incl. hub weighs 9.5 kg.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Indeed, looking at the figures form MTV website, it looks all around 10kg. Is a governor that heavy?

LFMD, France

I don’t think a governor and some ancillary equipment can weigh more than 1 to 1.5 kg.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message