Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another panel update thread

Silvaire wrote:

All for the price of two of my aircraft in their entirely

That upgrade included an Aspen 1500 (two displays) and a GTN750xi. The rest seems to be the same. Absolutely nice.

The GTN navigators have gone up high in price.

Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

Whatever money you spent will be lost, so only do it if you are absolutely certain you fly down the invest to zero book value imho.

I tend to agree on the avionics part, most potential buyers are completely fixated on the engine time and think that when the engine is high time but running fine you should basically give the airframe for free, in that logic most buyers consider avionics are cool and anyway easy upgradeable at moderate cost….were at the end the cost of that avionics upgrade is the same as an overhauled engine. I might even say that some people install glitzy glass, remove all the old stuff bit have basically downgraded the operational capability of the aircraft by removing a DME, stormscope, old WX radar etc…I always tried to do avionics upgrades which were operationally relevant, bearing in mind what would be next component that needs to be decommissioned due to loss of vendor support. Have an upgrade path for that, compatible with what is installed already. The GI275 is a good path its TSO’d and provides integration with a wide variety of systems.

EBST

I must have missed the aircraft type in the initial post. That might me a useful piece of information

Poland

@RV14 BE-33 F33A

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

In my opinion tightly integrated glass solutions offer unparalleled user experience. I’m flying behind an all dual Dynon Skyview and honestly, wouldn’t like to go back to round gauges, even in the form of GI275.
AFAIK Dynon is working on autopilot STC for BE 33 series, no idea when that would be available and if you would ba able to use the FAA STC
The big advantage of Dynon is that one can order the stuff directly from OEM and your Part 66 mechanic, can sigh off the installation. No dealer required. At the end of the day, the setup might be cheaper than you expect.
You might also want to look at the G3x, but I’m sure G would require that a dealer gets paid for installation.
Of course, in 20 years it all would be obsolete and unsupported, as anything we use today.

Poland

I have more or less given up offering advice on panel upgrades as until I can get a good look at the panel and more importantly what is behind the panel most comments are meaningless.

The chances are that if you are doing a partial upgrade you are going to hang your reputation on someone else’s thirty year old wire rats nest or replace the lot and have to overprice the job as a consequence.

I am always happy to look at a potential job and being less than 15 min flying time from EGTK you are welcome to drop by.

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message