Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help deciding on panel upgrade

25 years is a long time. I know in a previous life as an electronics manufacturer, eventually vendors would notify us that the part was going out of production and we should make a “last production run purchase”

You are of course are right.

I also think it’s quite normal for things like phones, TV’s laptops, game consoles…..etc…etc. Technology moves on and so does demand. Often as the manufacturer ‘end-of-lifes’ the hardware is losing it’s favor anyway. For tens of thousands of us, that doesn’t apply to the 430. (W) in many cases.
I’m hoping my unit’s will carry on for now and past when I sell the airframe. But a hard ‘end of life’ for the centre pok t of my avionics will hit me in resale value I guess.

United Kingdom

So some updates:

GPS 175 as a start. Found out that you actually can’t have 2 navigators connected to one G5 and have GPSS with a non Garmin AP. I can fly a heading by turning the heading bug or fly NAV by Vloc but no GPSS steer since the Garmin 255A was configured as the first navigator.

I am wondering if anyone else had this issue where you have to give up one or the other??

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

Ouch, that is indeed a limitation of the G5.

The G5/GAD29 does not have analog „passthrough“ for the AP signals, your NAV/GS will be wired directly from the navigator to the AP. Thus, switching the nav source in the G5 just switches the display on the HSI, not what the AP flies. Since this is inherently dangerous, it‘s not allowed under the Garmin STC. And in case of the GPS175/GNC255A combo, you would have to actually choose either GPS or ILS, which of course sucks.

This is an unfortunate situation since there is no real way out of it, other than installing a GI275, or a GTN650 instead of the GPS175, or a GFC500.

Your avionics shop did not catch this?

Last Edited by mri at 20 Mar 11:43
mri
LFSB, LFGA, Switzerland

mri wrote:

Your avionics shop did not catch this?

Not after I already purchased the GPS.

Tell me if I understand this correctly as to the options I have:
1. Wire the 175 and cut off the 255A to have GPSS and LPV but no ILS
2. Use the G5 as a PFD (move it up), install the GI275 as HS n the available hole. Would that give me both GPSS and ILS?

Can you not install a switch that will allow to move between the GPS as the source or the NAV?

GFC500 is not an option right now :-(

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

1. That would be an option, unfortunately to comply with the Garmin STC, you would have to actually remove the connection from GNC255A to the G5, so no way to even display the ILS for hand-flying, outside of install a NAV2 indicator

2. That should work from everything I know and gather from the GI275 installation manual. Both the GPS175 and the GNC255A connect via ARINC429 to the GI275, and the GI275 generates the analog signals for your AP, thus switching internally. Added benefit should be that the GI275 provides attitude to the KAP150. This should allow you to remove your vacuum system (if you don’t want to keep your current AI as a backup).

Installing a switch should be technically possible but not covered by an STC, since you would have to two switches for HSI (on the G5) and AP (separate).

mri
LFSB, LFGA, Switzerland

How was the GPS 150 wired up until now? Did you have the ability to fly “NAV” with it?

The absolute cheapest way to “solve” this problem is by wiring the GPS 175 to G5 and AP, wiring a NAV2 indicator to the GNC255A (you might already have one in the panel), and sacrificing the ability to fly coupled ILS. This is not a huge problem at least around central Europe since most any place that has an ILS also has an RNP approach, but of course it hurts. You would only be able to hand-fly the ILS.

mri
LFSB, LFGA, Switzerland

That would be an option, unfortunately to comply with the Garmin STC, you would have to actually remove the connection from GNC255A to the G5, so no way to even display the ILS for hand-flying, outside of install a NAV2 indicator

When you say NAV2 indicator, do you mean mechanical CDI? I do have one with glide slope that can be used.

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

Yes, that was what I was referring to. The GNC255A can connect to most of the CDIs that are around.

mri
LFSB, LFGA, Switzerland

Thank you for your help!

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

You‘re welcome. I‘m a bit bummed I didn‘t catch this earlier when we discussed the different options…

Depending on what your further plans are and how well your AP works, you could go ahead with the CDI as a temporary „fix“ and then decide on the middle- to long-term course of action…GI275, GTN650 or GFC500.

PS. If you need another CDI to keep both NAVs active, I think I still have a KI-204 in the basement that I could part with.

Last Edited by mri at 21 Mar 11:00
mri
LFSB, LFGA, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message