Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help deciding on panel upgrade

Yes. But on the other hand, these GNS just don’t go bad. At least in my experience. I am at 23 years of dual GNS430 operations now. Not a single glitch. In a way, I have been waiting for years for one of them to go bad, as an excuse to buy a GTN… but nothing ever happened so far…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico, you make a good point. They are reliable units.

I guess my problem is that I’m married to a lawyer very adverse to risk

EGSU, United Kingdom

This may be irrelevant to most of us, but there’s also one thing GNS430W doesn’t support but newer Garmin units do: RF (radius to fix) legs.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I know Garmin won’t now repair the 12V version of the GNS430, but the 430W ??

They still do database support for the 430…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know Garmin won’t now repair the 12V version of the GNS430, but the 430W ??

I’ve just had an Avionics upgrade on my Piper Arrow IV Turbo which involved repairing/renovating my Garmin 430W – THREE WEEKS ago.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Fernando wrote:

This is a really important point. If the unit needs a repair, Garmin won’t do it, and you’ll need to buy another one.

They keep saying they will stop doing it, mine however was repaired not 2 months ago without any problem. Took about a month but got a loaner in the mean time from my avionic shop. Cost was 2k.

Having said that, IMHO it makes sense to go somewhere a bit more recent. Get rid of the old GPS and the 165 and install a GTN650 or an IFD440 would be my preferred solution.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter_G wrote:

repairing/renovating my Garmin 430W – THREE WEEKS ago

Mooney_Driver wrote:

mine however was repaired not 2 months ago

I’m pretty sure the purpose of Garmin’s regular “GNS→GTN upgrade promotions” is to get older units back as exchange or spare part donors, so they can keep servicing alive as long as they can.

ESMK, Sweden

With a €6k budget this is simply not happening. Any Avionic upgrade needs to have LPV and I can’t think of anything that can do that job that and can be fitted for the available money.

The only way might be to find a second hand GTN650 but I can’t see anyone selling such a unit for less than €6K and then there is the fitting to be considered. Garmin have said they will support the GNS430W until the parts run out, I am told the limiting factor is the screen that was a commercial component that is no longer manufactured. To fit a GNS now is a bit like buying a hand grenade with a chocolate pin……… you simply don’t know when or if the cash explosion will happen. At least with the GTN series you know product support will continue into the foreseeable future as Garmin have worked to avoid being reliant on third party parts suppliers.

Any Avionic upgrade needs to have LPV

Warum? Admittedly this is from a UK Brexit liberated land where there are no LPVs, although the EGNOS geo stationary is visible, and there are ground stations :)

You only need LNAV for SEP utility unless your SOPs assume you are flying a single engine piston in low IFR, in effect ruling out finding a forced landing site. My old KLN94 was bulletproof, and seems to serve @Peter just fine.

The RADALT thread is illuminative, and @boscomantico is right, some kit is fitted, and eating AMUs and payload just because it resembles an airliner. Reminds me of a nice Commander 114 where the airline pilot owner, had fitted four artificial horizons :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

LPV is not available in the UK mainland but the GPS gives you +V which is a synthetic glideslope (available on any GPS IAP) which can be flown by hand or using the autopilot. +V is practically as good as LPV. In fact the latest GPS boxes give you +V without needing the EGNOS signal but EGNOS remains available anyway.

I think the budget is very tight. Might need to buy used kit and get a freelance installer to install it. Finding a good installer is a nightmare though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message