Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help deciding on panel upgrade

I’m I not better getting the GNS 430W (and rid of the KX 165) so I can keep the ILS glide slope? If I understand it correctly the GNC 355A is just COM, not NAV and I will lose the glide slope indicator??

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

Wingover wrote:

I’m I not better getting the GNS 430W (and rid of the KX 165) so I can keep the ILS glide slope? If I understand it correctly the GNC 355A is just COM, not NAV and I will lose the glide slope indicator??

That’s correct. You will get a “proper” glide slope indication for LPV approaches and an advisory glideslope for (most) other approaches, but you won’t get an ILS.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

An ILS is really important in Europe.

The 6k budget is a bit tight though…

A 430W is a good choice for this kind of project. Just be aware that the screen is very small so you will probably be running a tablet with some satnav app for decent situational awareness.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

That’s correct. You will get a “proper” glide slope indication for LPV approaches and an advisory glideslope for (most) other approaches, but you won’t get an ILS.

Can you please explain why not? I thought the 430W can do that.

Peter wrote:

An ILS is really important in Europe.

The 6k budget is a bit tight though…

A 430W is a good choice for this kind of project. Just be aware that the screen is very small so you will probably be running a tablet with some satnav app for decent situational awareness.

I am running a tablet with SkyDemon but willing to pay for Garmin Pilot if needed. The screen on the GNC 355 is smaller no?

Last Edited by Wingover at 02 Jan 10:47
LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

Not sure of the problem since you already have a Nav/com Garmin 255A, therefore you already have an ILS in that box.
A dual G5 with a Garmin 155 navigator would give you ILS as well as LPV.

And this stuff should be, IMHO, be compatible with your AP.

PS
I would not fit a 430W… though it was a good device at the time, it is cumbersome to operate, and is AFAIK not supported anymore.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

An ILS is really important in Europe

The more so in the UK where a certain resistance to the introduction of LPVs can be felt

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Wingover wrote:

Can you please explain why not? I thought the 430W can do that.

I commented on your question about the GNC 355A.

The GNS 430W certainly has both COM, NAV (with full ILS) and GPS. The drawback is that Garmin has – AFAIU – stopped repairing these units (or will soon do so). So you run the risk of paying for an installation of a unit that may not be repairable.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 02 Jan 12:17
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Dan wrote:

Not sure of the problem since you already have a Nav/com Garmin 255A, therefore you already have an ILS in that box.
A dual G5 with a Garmin 155 navigator would give you ILS as well as LPV.

Thanks for that! I was sure the ILS/Glide slop was connected to the Bendix 165

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

Airborne_Again wrote:

I commented on your question about the GNC 355A.

Right, I didn’t read it correctly, sorry.

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

Airborne_Again wrote:

you run the risk of paying for an installation of a unit that may not be repairable.

This is a really important point. If the unit needs a repair, Garmin won’t do it, and you’ll need to buy another one. It’s a risk/benefit assessment you’ll have to do.

I’ve replaced by 430s with 2x Avidyne IFD440s

EGSU, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message