Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rotax oil level and burping

The Rotax 912 on the Super Guépard also uses very little oil.

France

Silvaire wrote:

Can you safely start a Rotax 912 without clearing the crankcase of accumulated oil after an extended shutdown?

Who knows, but the procedure is marked with a “NOTICE” in the manual. A “NOTICE” in Rotax manuals means “Identifies an instruction which, if not followed, may severely damage the engine or could void any warranty”.

We have discussed this within my community from time to time. What you do with this procedure is several things:

• Oil is transferred from the crankcase to the tank, enabling to take a measure of the quantity.
  • The compression is “checked”, and if you do it every time, you can easily feel if this changes.
  • You circulate oil within the engine, lubricating internal bearings before starting.
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I was taught that in cold weather it is a good idea on lycosaurus also to turn the prop a few turns before starting.

France

lycosaurus also to turn the prop a few turns before starting

This is not a good idea but just another old wife’s tale… this action wipes downs the cylinder walls and all surface contacts (cams, journals, etc) of the oil residue, and will accelerate the wear of the engine.
Pre-heating the engine is the only sound way before a cold weather start.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I have to admit on the first flight of a cold day even on twins I have been turning the prop before start up. This was suggested by various mechanics and we have never had any problems because of it.

France

One of the main maintaince guru’s in my home recommendeds cracking the engine and then flicking the ignition switch on when oil pressure starts to show.

Something to do with cavitation in the oil pump

slight thread drift
@gallois, I was taught this as well, and OTOH different by others.
So, once upon a time, I went and paid a visit to Lycoming whilst at Oshkosh. I spoke at length to one of their technician about different stuff, and I’m just repeating what he told me. And which also makes sense to me.
Of course, searching the subject online will reveal a lot of reasons to pull the prop thru a few blades prior to starting, but most arguments are just moot, or plainly wrong.

Talking about cold weather starts, Lycoming has published some guidance in Operating in Cold Weather.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

LeSving wrote:

Who knows, but the procedure is marked with a “NOTICE” in the manual. A “NOTICE” in Rotax manuals means “Identifies an instruction which, if not followed, may severely damage the engine or could void any warranty”.

I don’t see that marking with the “burping” procedure. On what page in the manual?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Dec 13:18
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It’s in the same page (oil level check)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It’s in the same page (oil level check)

I can only find a “NOTICE” about using the correct oil quantity, not about the burping procedure itself. Not that I doubt it is important.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message