Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Valve recession with unleaded fuel (UL94)

Cobalt wrote:

That school did fly 46,000 hours in 4 months.

I did not read that – In addition to data sent to Lycoming, UND is also sending both cylinders and engines for further analysis. Kasowski said after 46,000 flight hours, the school had about the same replacement rate for spark plugs as on 100LL, nor was spark plug fouling noticeably reduced.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

But then the lyco O-360 and O-320 as used in the PA28 not that prone to lead fowling.

The O-200 and O-235 (low compression) are a different matter

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

Do you have more details on this additive? Not sure I recall hearing about that requirement. Thanks!

From the Lycoming service instruction 1070AB:

“WHEN USING THE UNLEADED FUELS IDENTIFIED IN TABLE 1, LYCOMING OIL ADDITIVE P/N LW-16702, OR AN EQUIVALENT FINISHED PRODUCT SUCH AS AEROSHELL 15W-50, MUST BE USED.”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In practical terms, the LW16702 additive requirement only means using e.g. W100 Plus oil instead of W100, or the multigrade equivalent noted by Airborne_Again. The additive oil is slightly more expensive and likely wouldn’t otherwise be used unless the engine is a Lycoming O-320H, O-360E or TIO-541 series engine. Based on Shell’s description of the additives, I think it’s interesting to consider how the additive is beneficial for use with unleaded fuel – valve seats are not oil lubricated.

According to some there are issues in using Camguard with the additive oils, but nothing earth shaking IIRC.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Nov 20:49

@Peter_Mundy, not sure what you mean?

In four months of flying totaling 46,000 hours, the school found evidence of significant valve recession in some of the Archers.

I read that as that they flew these 46k hours in 4 months.

I did a quick sanity check – the school has over 120 aircraft, so let’s say 100 are on 94UL, 400 aircraft-months of flying means 115 hours per month, or less than 4 per day, so this looks plausible.

Biggin Hill

Silvaire wrote:

Based on Shell’s description of the additives, I think it’s interesting to consider how the additive is beneficial for use with unleaded fuel – valve seats are not oil lubricated.

Indeed, sure seems difficult to imagine a way that these additives could help harden valve seats. They are essentially anti-scuff agents.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message