Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel or oil additives to "clean out" the engine

He will be understandably reluctant to comment on that proposition.

I solved my high oil consumption simply by using 1 quart of Mobil 1 0W20, in the last 5hrs of a service interval, as described in this (long) thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not at all anything to help out. As I remember the reason for the o ring concern is if you leave the o ring sit in the solvent. What happens is that the fluid escapes out the oil drain hole. Also must rock the plane up and down and more fluid comes out. Then fill it with straight wt aviation oil the cheapest around.

It did work and brought it back up as well as some other cylinders however not enough and eventually had to pull the jug and rehone it and put new rings in. I think it helped get a lot of the sludge out of the engine.

KHTO, LHTL

Yeah, well, the reason I ask is that I just had to have jugs #5 and #1 pulled because the piston rings were stuck. They’re now in rehab.
Most likely reason, let’s put it that way, were two aggressively long oil change intervals, together with wrong oil ;)

Now in all likelihood, the stuff that clogged the piston rings in cyl. 5 and 1 is also sitting in the others, only we don’t “see” it yet. Compression is fine, borescope is fine…. but… Huh….

It might be a good idea to flush the other cylinders just to make sure they’re ok. Now that procedure comes into play. That’s why I ask.

So, you had it done ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Is Xylene used to clear microscope slides? If my memory is correct, a microscopy dealer would be a contact.
(Microscopy is a pastime, like noting plane registrations – or flying them.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Thats right as a matter of fact In not so sure it shouldnt be done every 1000 hrs to keep things sludge free. Im also going to try to use Liguid Moly Gas restorer in the next two flights.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Im also going to try to use Liguid Moly Gas restorer in the next two flights.

And what is THAT supposed to do ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The answer is here

Administrator

all these fuel additives change the combustion and timing. Oil additives are good in one engine and bad or without effect in the other. Changing the oil more frequently does more than any additive.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Picking up an old thread here.

TCP was mentioned here. The claim is mainly that it prevents spark plugs getting bunged up. This is a fuel additive so obviously the amount seen by the engine will be tiny. Is anyone here using it?

Then there is the old “unapproved” method of adding Mobil 1 motor oil in the last few hours of a service interval. This I know is very effective but I think the chunks of carbon coming off the top of the piston can produce bore scrape marks.

Administrator

TCP was mentioned here. The claim is mainly that it prevents spark plugs getting bunged up. This is a fuel additive so obviously the amount seen by the engine will be tiny. Is anyone here using it?

The amount of lead in 100LL is also tiny. I used TCP (like many people) on a low compression Continental that was designed run on 73 octane minimum fuel but which actually was run on 100LL. These low compression Continentals don’t particularly like 100LL and TCP works well to keep the cylinders cleaner. It’s well known to work as a preventative measure. It does not remove existing deposits.

I don’t use TCP on my Lycoming O-320 because with REM37BY plugs and proper leaning it’s unnecessary.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Sep 22:18
Sign in to add your message