Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bendix King KX165A NAVCOM - Radial disparity

We have invested in a second 8.33kHz radio by swapping out our old 25kHz KX165 for a newer KX165A model with similar functionality.
(Beware there are both 25kHz and 8.33kHz variants of this product.)

One of the features is the ability to display the TO and FROM radial of any VOR, which I believe is independent of what any CDI is set for.
You can also set your own OBS radial and it can display the deviation, again independent of the CDI.
Just press the MODE button several times to cycle through the options (OBS mode, TO mode, FROM mode etc.)

I did this and am slightly baffled as to why the TO radial shown in the picture below differs by 9 degrees from the GPS estimate.
Have I misunderstood that this is independent or is this likely a fault in the receiver?
Is this something that can be reconfigured or would it need a recalibration on the bench.

It appears to work OK as a standard VOR and ILS driving a CDI.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

You are correct in how it works.

There is no adjustment for this function in the configuration pages. If you go into the OBS TO page and centre the deviation bar on the 165A, does it show the same bearing error?

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Thanks for the confirmation. Here’s a photo taken at the same time which shows the built-in OBS function working to within a couple of degrees.

It seems strange to me that one function works when the other doesn’t – I would have thought the same calibration applied in both cases.

EGBJ, United Kingdom

If you have a friendly avionics engineer with a ramp test set it would be worth doing a check to confirm the error. After that, looks like a bench job.
The config pages are shown in section 3.1.4
KX155A_165A_pdf

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

@wigglyamp Thanks for the advice. It’s helpful having a second opinion to ensure I was interpreting the display correctly.

EGBJ, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message