Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Aera 760?

@gallois Great idea, thank you! I’d fear the black cloth heating from the sun and passing on the heat to the ipad by conduction. But a black surface is also better from a convection point of view, as you rightly pointed out.

Besides, a white cloth might glare too much in the sun and be distracting. I can barely look at my (white) aircraft when the sun is shining on it. As a side note, I remember reading somewhere that SR-71 pilots moved away from white pressure suits to yellow at some point. The white suits were creating reflections on the dashboard, preventing them from reading flight instruments.

etn
EDQN, Germany

I think you mean radiation, not convection.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Absolutely, thanks for pointing that out.

etn
EDQN, Germany

I have a 660, not a 760. It’s panel mount (so it syncs with the G5 showing the course), and I just love it. They are very well designed devices. The 660 screen is a little small, 760 would be better i guess. But then again, it’s a gps, not an netflix movie display.

One advantage of the 660, it’s easy to key in the flight plan at home, then in the aircraft just plug it into the panel. (Although keying in a flight plan is easy and quick.)

etn wrote:

Or maybe as a 2-device combination, Garmin on the dashboard and ipad in the seat pocket to use when needed

that’s exactly what i do, I usually fly with cheap (aldi ) companion android tablet and/or phone, with some kind of aviation gps software (I have several i try out now and then). never overheats.

I find the garmin 660 very well designed and very reliable. Excellent GPS reception also. And as peter says, a single update every year or 2 for europe navdata @ 55 euro is more than sufficient.

EBTN, EBST, Belgium

Can it display traffic from skyecho?

Bathman wrote:

Can it display traffic from skyecho?

i don’t know enough about sky echo, but i don’t think it can. only garmin’s own GDL52 is supported afaict (i don’t have it, not useful in europe anyway).

Off topic, but regarding sky echo, it would be nice if in europe there would be some move towards some sort of a standard traffic display for GA instead of a gazillion incompatible systems each with their own limitations and ideosyncrasies. As long as that doesn’t happen, I doubt garmin would support anything else but their own ADSB solution.

EBTN, EBST, Belgium
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message