Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Annual - when?

Given the amazing discussion of how long peoples’ Annuals take, it equally amazes me how many people do theirs in the summer, and lose the main part of the year when the weather is good.

What are the factors behind this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Most people have to fly their planes to a shop which is not on the home airport. Having the annual in summer makes this less prone to weather issues. Also, in summer, you can make a mini holiday out of this necessary trip, where it would be dull in winter.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Since my annuals are predictable (at least have been throughout all these years of ownership) and last 2-3 days, I plan them as a short trip to Slovenia, visiting friends and enjoying nature in surroundings of lake of Bled. The other scheduled services (e.g. upgrading something) that can last longer, I plan to be executed while I’m away for some reason and wouldn’t be able to fly regardless the aircraft being available or not.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

My Annuals are effectively every 13 months, which means the time of year changes. I don’t start the Annual until the period for last one has expired, and this year that means doing it starting August 1st. The issue locally is not missing good flying (better conditions are found in spring and autumn) but it can be tough dealing with the heat of working in an uninsulated hangar with no AC. The A&P IA is not terribly happy with August, nor am I, and he suggested the other day we do could do two Annuals this year including a quickie in the fall, to move it to October to November in 2024

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Jul 14:31

Peter wrote:

Peter04-Jul-23 06:5601
Given the amazing discussion of how long peoples’ Annuals take, it equally amazes me how many people do theirs in the summer, and lose the main part of the year when the weather is good.

What are the factors behind this?

Or perhaps they live in countries that are not subject to bad weather on any particular time of the year…. So, it makes no difference to them.. I´m new, but to me it makes sense doing it just before the “summer” vacation time begins – I´m with you – though I´m not as badly mugged by the weather as you lot in the UK (or Denmark!). ;-)

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

If the shop closes for Christmas or has a summer shutdown, I would avoid that month completely. No point them taking the plane apart, then disappearing for a week or two

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The wx here in the UK is not a big thing. There is just a slight reduction in the flyable days, in winter.

You can always arrive early and just leave the plane outside the maint. company for a few days.

I reckon about 50% fly away for maintenance. The rest can taxi in OVC001

The advantages of servicing during the winter are huge.

Administrator

Last year my annual was 5 months, effectively shifting the date into early summer. This year it commenced in early June on the date the old one ran out, so I expect next year’s to be in August, and so on…

EGCJ, United Kingdom

There must be lessons on how to avoid a 5 month Annual.

Administrator

I schedule my annual for December. Last year I scheduled for early December, but the IA got delayed. I asked that he finish the annual inspection in December for a December sign off and do any remaining maintenance the first week in January. I used to do 13 month annuals, but that got me into the prime flying season, so when I got back around to December, I have stayed there as I don’t do much flying that month anyway.

KUZA, United States
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message