Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piston aviation engine oil analysis in the EU

Once going, I would run an email to those here who have allowed email – over 800.

Personally I like to test more items e.g. calcium is a marker in Camguard.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“An option to eliminate the collection bottle round trips is to use standard tubes for medical specimens along with standard shipping boxes for them.”

Are these glass? Otherwise they might affect the oil. Easy check by testing oil sample before and after storage for a few days in one.
Would rented access to equipment be possible? Lab during time it is not operated.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Plastic is used universally, IME.

Administrator

I could help to pair oil analysis data with flight data monitoring. Would be an interesting project to see how usage (of the airplane) correlates with oil data.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I could help to pair oil analysis data with flight data monitoring. Would be an interesting project to see how usage (of the airplane) correlates with oil data.

I think this would be very interesting. Engine data like SavvyAviation.com does, coupled with oil analysis, and even fuel used.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Savvy are expensive though.

One useful thing they offer is the spectral peak detection of valve failure although you will see that with your eye in the EGT data, if you have an EDM700 or similar and actually download the data and look at it.

I think that one needs to remain focused on what to offer. The % of European GA which is after fancy stuff is miniscule. After all, the vast majority – probably 99% – does not even do oil analysis.

Administrator

I think this would be very interesting. Flight / engine data like FlySto.net
does, coupled with oil analysis, and even fuel used.

FTFY 🤩

Last Edited by Snoopy at 26 Feb 09:28
always learning
LO__, Austria

Where do you send your oil samples for testing in the EU?

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

To Blackstone labs.

Sub-text: the extra cost of postage to the USA is negligible and I think they have more experience than anyone else in analysing aircraft piston engine oils and interpreting the results.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I agree re Blackstone. Used them for years.

Posts moved to precisely identical previous thread.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message