Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does Sentry (not plus, not mini) receive European ADS-B Traffic

Hi,
A friend has let me use his Sentry device in my Cirrus. I have done a couple of test flights but it does never show any ADS-B traffic (I am based in Madrid). I know ADS-B Weather it not supported in Europe but I thought that ADS-B Traffic is. I have been close to airliner traffic which I guess should have ADS-B installed, so I guess Foreflight map should have shown them.
In my Sentry device the ADS-B led is permanently red, but I think it does not detect the Weather base stations (only working in USA)… or does it mean the ADS-B system in the Sentry is not working at all, hence not receiving any traffic?
Maybe I am missing something… I have tried contacting Foreflight support but they are not helping much… the agent seem to be a chatbot as I am not being able to have her understand the problem.

Thanks,

LEMT, Spain

Yes.

ESME, ESMS

Try to do a few screenshots from the device page in FF and the device details and post them. Usually it should display plenty of details on what it is receiving and what not.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I have tested both the Sentry Mini and the Skyecho2 which is based on the Sentry, and they both pick up both ADS-B frequencies.

The SE2 also picks up FLARM.

The main problem with ADS-B in Europe is that so few aircraft send out ADS-B data. BTW, the SE2 is far from perfect, but it will very cheaply send ADS-B out.

I know it’s not cheap to upgrade your aircraft to send ADS-B out but complete solutions exist for less than $3000. And many existing mode-s transponders can be upgraded for less.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

If you’re testing at an airport with GA traffic, they may not have ADSB out. Near a commercial airport, you should pick up traffic while on the ground. My Sentry receives at home when placed near a window.

LPFR, Poland

You should be able to see traffic on ForeFlight. There are a few things you need to verify. In the iOS settings App, make sure Location Services is on in Privacy&Security. Also make sure ForeFlight is on in the Local Network setting. You also need to be connected to the Sentry Wifi. On ForeFlight, go to More>Devices and verify you are connected. Also scroll to Traffic and you should see some activity on Traffic Update (1090). If you do, go to Maps and verify that the Traffic layer is on and tap the settings icon at the top of the screen and turn off Hide distant traffic. If there is any airline or corporate jet traffic, it should show up on the map.

KUZA, United States
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message