Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G5 Sky vs Ground pointer

There is a configuration option in the G5 for either mode.

What is the general preference around here?

I did fly in one aircraft that had multiple Artificial Horizons, with a mix of sky and ground pointers from different vendors, requiring a bit more attention when switching between them, so at the very least I would have thought setting them to be consistent where possible is a very good idea.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

It is purely personal preference how the pointer is set up but if as an engineer I was asked to set more than one up in an aircraft I would insist that both matched.

I’m used to ground pointer. I seem to recall that matching sky/ground pointer with other instruments is a condition for the G5 AML STC?

ELLX

Choose the sky pointer since it is what I had on the Bus

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

A sky pointer is used on the Sandel products like my SN3500 EHSI.

It is confusing to those who are used to the classic GA avionics but you soon get used to it – unless you also have the classic GA instruments in the panel

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

lionel wrote:

I’m used to ground pointer. I seem to recall that matching sky/ground pointer with other instruments is a condition for the G5 AML STC?

That’s correct. From STC limitations section:

• if a G5 is being installed as an attitude indicator and an existing attitude indicator is retained, the G5
pointer type must be configured to match the existing indicator pointer type
o Fixed Pointer Type / G5 Config = Ground
o Movable Pointer Type / G5 Config = Sky

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 15 Nov 10:38
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

I would think preference is pretty much what you are used to.

In my day job, it is sky pointer. In the aircraft I have a share in (which has a two G5s and no other AI, so could be set up as either) it is set up as a ground pointer, simply because every other share holder is more used to that, and even though it isn’t difficult, I don’t want to re-configure it all the time.

United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message