Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

100 hours checks "same work as an annual" (UK)

It is just wasting money performing unnecessary maintenance.

No problem

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It is just wasting money performing unnecessary maintenance.

Can you please explain what “just the wrong number” means? I really don’t understand. It’s not like you have to do both a 100 hr and an annual if you fly 110 hrs, say, every year.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In the 110hr/yr case for how our shop does it, you would end up doing the annual every 11 months and just accepting the date rolls around.

This wasn’t about not doing the work where required (I am the son of an airframe fitter) – it was about taking the thing apart twice in about 4 months when I’m not sure that really helped find any issues and cost a week of downtime and a couple of maintenance-induced snags.

My question remains the same as @Snoopy’s: on G reg, which I understand is still the same as EASA, can we just fly the 172 and take it up to the shop when it needs it during the course of the year without a Big Fuss every 100h.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

Winston

I assume you are on a SDMP ? You can write a 10% & 1 month variation into such a program you also only need to do the Calendar items on calendar time not every 100 hours.

This however depends on how your SDMP is written.

Silvaire wrote:

the paper process takes on a life of its own. The function and goals of the activity itself lose focus

Exactly.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@A_and_C (and everyone else): thank you. I think I know enough now to go and do some reading and ask some questions.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

Really? I have no idea of the difference between airborne time and moving time in my flying and simply record tach time in the aircraft logs when maintenance or Annual is recorded. It’s close enough for me and legal for the purpose.

In the much more oppressive (certified) European environment with prescribed tasks at prescribed intervals of flight hours, the difference becomes important.

If you’re having to count down the flight hours before you must perform maintenance then you don’t want to be counting anything more than actual flight hours. If you had an average flight time of e.g. 1 hour then you could easily be over-recording by 10-20% if you used brakes off/on times as opposed to actual flight times.

A common method is to record block times for the personal logbook and then deduct 10 mins / 0.2 hours to get flight time which goes in the airframe log. The more anal will do it to the minute for each individual flight and software packages like SkyDemon have made this easier, but I’m into flying rather than precision record keeping :-)

EGLM & EGTN
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message