Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LED replacement bulbs now on CS-STAN issue 4 (and which LED bulbs to choose?)

While certification means almost nothing in these products (except a much higher price) one thing I would suspect on the cheap ones is RF interference. All LED lamps contain a switch-mode power supply and this has the potential to wipe out all the aviation frequency bands In practice what happens is that you find, a year later, that a specific frequency doesn’t work or has a lot of noise on it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

After much rule reading and discussion one of our customers turned up with two LED lights that he wanted use to replace the incandescent lights.
After a brief scan of the regulations we found this to be acceptable and fitted them.

The only problem being these very inexpensive lights had been intended for use on a tractor and provided light suitable for travelling at about 20 MPH.

The good thing about the LED’s is that although they cost more to buy they last a lot longer. Or the aviation ones do. Not so sure about the ones used at home.
But they do use less power.

France

Turning back to the question on the lookout for some product that is made in Europe I opted for Aveo as manufacturer and have a full lighting set (certified version) from them. Quite happy actually. The RedBaron ACL is incredibly bright and really small. The other lamps seem to be as good as others, that is Whelen. Definitely a big step up from the 50 year old bulbs that were installed before and the quality looks good to me.

Germany

Why should one buy a landing, taxi and navigation lights for a day-VFR-only aircraft?

For visibility (to others), plus the LED versions draw so little power they can be left on all the time one is flying.

Administrator

Why

Weight increase, elec consumption increase, ev speed reduction, looks as in coolness, recognition, and just in case emergency use?
I only have a taxi/landing light combo in the right leading edge of my day-VFR steed. My field is “closing” SS+30, and given some overcast, the landing light can sometimes assist for the landing and ensuing taxi.

Talking brands, I can only warmly recommend the Australian Flyleds for performance and top notch customer service.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Why should one buy a landing, taxi and navigation lights for a day-VFR-only aircraft? That doesn’t make sense to me.

Germany

Posts moved to existing thread.

Administrator

My aircraft, MS 893, has the definitions included in the Flight Manual, and I assume the related (included) minimum equipment list is the required reference point. Not sure.

Capitaine wrote:

I’ve seen the white navigation lights, which are slightly (but noticably) brighter than the Whelen ones. And a fraction of the price.

I replaced some of my blown panel lights with their LED ones, and to be honest they are probably too bright (should have gone for warm white or maybe red)

I am tempted to replace my landing light with one of theirs, as the Parmetheus Plus isn’t much brighter than the incandescent GE4509.

Thanks for those details. Yes, I will most likely order a box of Landing, Taxi and Position (Nav) lights from Aero-Lites, as soon as the Landing lights (Ultra X) are back in stock.. Last week it was the Nav (Pos) lights that were not available.. darn it.. ;-)

Last Edited by Yeager at 26 Apr 12:31
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Does anybody know: what is a “day VFR aircraft” in this context? An aircraft that is restricted to day VFR by type certificate? Or an aircraft that is effectively used only for day VFR? That’s a huge difference. Shouldn’t they be more clear about it?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message