Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrading avionics

Airborne_Again wrote:

I wouldn’t be happy with the placement of the GPS, NAVCOM and Audio panel. Not unless I was left-handed.

That is where Avionics go in Bonanzas. Not much choice really, particularly in those old ones.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Sorry for the late reply, last 2 days between airports to arrive home for xmas.

I do understan the perspective that once you open the situation can dramatically change, that the expected budget can chance while the works going on, reason why I was expecting 50% based on the updates I was receiving.

The problem is that even if there were no changes, the cost wouod always increase because the initial estimate is not clear in some items. For each element, i.e. G3X, there was a proce for the item and for the installation, same for the other items like the GTN and the transponder. So, one things that the items and full installation is already there, but no, surprise, design concept and the harnesses are not there, and it goes for 5 digits which one, not well informed, do not expect. And this is only an example.

Problem with airplanes is that, once it starts, the airplane is not airworth anymore until the release is sign by the entity from each now you have severe disagrement. Solution, other you pay and complain after, or you complain and you risk not to fly your airplane for the next one or 2 years.

Photos next week when I will be flying.

At this point, based on the 2 flights, it works great and it is a great improvement in safety and confort.

Merry Christmas

LPSR, Portugal

Problem with airplanes is that, once it starts, the airplane is not airworth anymore until the release is sign by the entity from each now you have severe disagrement. Solution, other you pay and complain after, or you complain and you risk not to fly your airplane for the next one or 2 years.

Or possibly never see it again, as happened in the link I posted above. If there is a dispute, and 1 or 2 years do really pass, they will send you a hangarage bill which will wipe out the value of the plane, which will not be much anyway because the engine will need an overhaul, and possibly some avionics have been removed which nobody will want to put back in again (unless you pay them). This happens relatively often, but we rarely hear the stories.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@ Peter, I was really concerned with that, to loose all the initial investement and the plane. So I paid all they asked.

Photos

LPSR, Portugal

That is a very cool looking and very capable Cockpit! Congratulations!

And if it all works straight out of the shop, so much the better.

None of this excuses a total mess with offers e.t.c. but heck, at least the end result looks absolutely lovely.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Looks awesome! Happy New Year and enjoy.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
86 Posts
Sign in to add your message