Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrading avionics

@Antonio Yes I was lucky, only brole one leg instead of breaking both :-), with tets, disassemble, buy a new wing, assemble it……… bank account was becoming flatten.

LPSR, Portugal

Well , it is obviously a big ticket item to have to replace one wing, but the fact that you found a replacement almost immediately, locally and at reasonable cost saved you a lot of groundtime, logistical and economical nightmares! Frequently the associated groundtime for this kind of event is measured in semesters!
Do not underestimate the logistical challenge of getting a wing from a scrapyard in the USA crated and shipped safely to a location to be inspected and recertified, then on to the Czech Republic, all managed remotely…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

No I don’t, I was going already through the nightmare when a solution just droped from an hangar rigth in front, on a planecheck advertise

LPSR, Portugal

BTW today is the celebration of St Irene /St Iria, the patron saint of your home airport. Is that a big day locally?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I am not there, I am currently in Abyei.

LPSR, Portugal

Forgive the ignorance, Where in the world is Abyei?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Abyei is on the border between South Sudan and the Sudan. There’s oil related business there.

Disputed area between Sudan and South Sudan. Yes there is an oil business there, poverty and 2 different ethnic conflict, one of currently ongoing.

Hopefully in 2 weeks I will get the plane. Few days in Austria, and weather permits a tour through Switzerland back to Portugal. Already went through all the youtube videos I could find on the G3x, GFC500 and GTN650xi (also the app) and the systems seems to be very intuitive. I did my PPL on G1000, and honestly, I find this system much user friendly. The investment was (still) enormous, and after 5 years of hand flying, having a bit of peace of mind and a significant increase in safety it is a step forward for many years to come.

After so many months, looking forward to have my airliner back.

LPSR, Portugal

Finally I have bck my airplane. After a complicated trip back to base, I have to say that the Garmin system is amazing. Currently I cannot say much about the work outcome, since the price I end up paying largelly exceded the agreed contract and I am still analysing what are going to be my next steps on that.

Unfortunatelly, it seems to be a common practice to underestimate costs, at present at the end a significant bill, knowing that they have you by your wallet.

Last Edited by lmsl1967 at 21 Dec 07:16
LPSR, Portugal

the price I end up paying largelly exceded the agreed contract

That’s disgraceful behaviour, but not unusual. Did the shop justify the increase and that they could not have predicted it? And did you get the option to recover your aircraft without the work done?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message