Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AHRS loosing alignment on (firm) landing

Pilot_DAR wrote:

I did a few rough water landings, and it did not seem bothered.

Before all this happened, I did some rough landings too (I confess :-D), and it would not reboot. This seems to be a new fault.

I just checked my AHRS, and it is SN#42000782, no MOD LEVEL marked, so I’ll ask Garmin if a MOD is available for this SN.
I hope they can help.

I will also retrieve engine recordings and see what happen on the electrical side.

Pilot_DAR wrote:

Then I said, “watch this…” as I switched on the Master…. “AHRS ALIGN – KEEP WINGS LEVEL” appeared on the screen. I turned to the Garmin rep, and asked how I was to do this with the plane bobbing in the waves…. He replied: “We never thought of that!”.

So classic, the completely unexpected requirement. Thanks for the laugh! :-)

EHLE, Netherlands

I think most AHRS systems in GA have problems of various kinds. My Sandel SG102 has been great for 10 years and lately I have got through 3 of them. The current one (latest version) sometimes fails to power up correctly, so the EHSI just sits there with an invalid heading of 360 (north).

Internally, the construction is poor, with a lot of components in the “oven” (temp stabilised) compartment which are bound to fail often. This arrangement is also IMHO responsible for the poor reliability of the Aspen products which cram everything inside that heated area, subjecting it to thermal cycling.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message