Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is this the most avionics-loaded TB20?

Geez, for that money they could have bought another airplane ! In any case, you don’t get avionics upgrades back on resale. An upgraded panel makes an airplane more saleable, for sure, but once you go beyond the basics it’s money down the drain.

I don’t think this „you don’t recoup avionics“ is true anymore. The modern Garmin stuff, especially the autopilots, are a major improvement for any airplane.

Upgrade projects aren’t trivial, and people are willing to pay a premium to avoid down time, shop hassles etc..

Especially in this market where planes with „avionics museums“ are sold at very high prices.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 21 Feb 18:26
always learning
LO__, Austria

refreshing to see a modern panel. Most certified aircraft panels are still seated in their very cave, amongst the dinos, puffing steam at heavy weights and consumption… the future is now

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Most of such elaborate upgrades are not entirely “rational” as much as getting an airplane is.

I know from my own case that I had a certain vision what kind of cockpit I´d like to fly and basically was looking for an airframe which had the necessary performance.

this TB20 certainly is very well equipped. In combination with the comfy cabin it has, it may make someone their very own mini-airliner with a very recent cockpit and as we all know from Peters exploits a nice range and all that. Someone looking for a fully equipped airplane may well go for this kind of plane. Not many on the maket are buy and fly like this one.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Although the TB range perhaps didn’t sell, worldwide, as well as the Cessna 1X2 series or the PA 28s they were still remarkably good for the money and pretty deluxe for their time. They also outperformed much of the competition in areas such as range.
IMO the TB20/21 despite being out of production for many years still compares well with the newer aircraft in the market today.
At around €300,000 you get a pretty capable aircraft with modern avionics. This might be a good choice for some rather than paying out circa €1million for a little bit of extra speed, less payload, a lot less range, less economical, a parachute and deicing.
Maybe with prices of new planes coming onto the market today, renovating and updating older aircraft might be the way the market moves.
This is especially the case as kit builds and experimentals also increade in cost.
Perhaps the only thing holding the renovation/updating market back is regulation whîch hampers new avionic and engine technology in what are certified aircraft. Or perhaps its manufacturers of certified aircraft and avionics to the extent that in some ways they stifle innovation.

Last Edited by gallois at 21 Feb 21:27
France

The original panel was a pretty capable setup. Like Peter said, I’m not sure anything is really gained in the upgrade other than just having the latest toys.

EHRD, Netherlands

I wonder if anyone here can post details of the interconnections and the resulting overall functionality.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To me, apart from the GI275 EIS, everything is unnecessary.
Looks like a Garmin test bench

LFOU, France

Interesting detail is the far right breaker, which has been modified to say “iPad USB”.

EHRD, Netherlands

Yes the RH unit is an Ipad in a holder, and you would need a CB to make the holder installation (which is “permanent”) legal. The Ipad itself cannot be permanently mounted; this is a standard workaround because only the holder is

I did the same with a G496 many years ago. Now there is an Aera 660 there. I sent that writeup to Garmin and the only comment they were capable of making was whether the holder was legal

Unfortunately, AFAIK, there is no way to get an IOS device to auto start, auto start an application, etc. With Android you could automate everything but there are no decent performance android tablets around now, and for IFR you want an IFR app and all of them are IOS-only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message