Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 Alternator/Voltage reg failure after battery charger recond program?

After several weeks not flying I applied a recond “desulfation” on my trickle charger, charged the battery and reassembled it.
Starting the engine but the ALT indicator light keeps on (on several RPMs). On-off of the ALT Switch and the ALT CB didn´t help. Didn´t have any an alternator problem during the last flight. Could it simply be a slack belt or maybe possible that the battery had a higher voltage after “reconditioning” and charging therfore caused the Voltage regulator circuit to switch off the ALT connection? The AC is hangared but could condensation damage an alternator after a while?

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

Chris wrote:

After several weeks not flying I applied a recond “desulfation” on my trickle charger, charged the battery and reassembled it.

Did you charge it in the aircraft, or removed from the aircraft as you say reassembled? In the last option for sure something else would be causing it.

With engine off, master switch on and alternator switch on you should have somewhere around 10-12 Volt on the F (field) post of the alternator. If you measure this field then it is likely the alternator, if their is no voltage you first would have to troubleshoot the voltage regulator side.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Yes, charging was done outside the AC. Thank you very much, Jesse for your step-by-step recommendation in troubleshootin!
Interestingly the current felt during the running engine not too, much under 23,9V, – but of course the battery voltage / amp indicator light was glowing. Maybe this effect is explained by a fully loaded battery….

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message