Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine oil too cold in cruise ?

I have an 0-360 in my Archer 2. For several winters i have blanked off part of the oil cooler to improve the oil temp, monitored by an EDM 830 set for 2 sec intervals

3/4 blanking works ok for me but i only fly low level 2000-3000 feet so only have values for you at 1C OAT

OIL 172F, Av CHT 331 F cruise temps for second 45 min flight of the day
CHT averaged from 4 readings, OIL temp stable 14 mins into the flight

Oil blanking by a simple slider, to make experimenting easy

Archer2
EGKA, United Kingdom

@Dan : I think you are spot on with your suggestion & analysis.

I think I have no majorly overreading or underreading JPI probes as my good old analog instruments also show low temperatures consistent with the JPI.
I will keep on analysing the oil.
I will experiment with blanking off more oil cooler area to find out how the temperature reacts. Nice setup @stanley !
I will fly slightly less LOP, so with hotter CHTs.

Last Edited by Niner_Mike at 17 Feb 15:41
Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

With such low oil temp, I would expect your valves to be covered in lead deposits. Which might explain your compressions btw.

EGTF, LFTF

@denopa can these lead deposits be burned off with higher CHT temps?

Abeam the Flying Dream

As I understand it, no, it’s linked to oil temp not CHT temps – but of course higher CHTs should correlate with higher oil temps.

Avoiding this is one of the expected benefits of G100UL.

Last Edited by denopa at 17 Feb 18:58
EGTF, LFTF

I guess my old Oil temp is not accurate, it is probably 40 years old.

The engine monitor was installed 2015

Archer2
EGKA, United Kingdom

I am not sure if anyone mentioned but I will throw in a possible oil cooler thermostat problem into the scenario.
If it is not functioning correctly, it can cause the oil temperature to stay too cool.

Switzerland

I had been thinking about that but The failure should then happen on both engines at the same time. Not likely

Last Edited by Niner_Mike at 19 Feb 19:09
Abeam the Flying Dream

Update !
As a test I taped off another third of the engine coolers (next to the one third already blocked by the winterisation plates) as suggested by some in other forums.
Apparently I was not the first with too cold Continental TSIO360 engines … it seems to be an issue.

The test positively showed higher oil temps nicely within normal range of 160-180°. OAT was about -10°C from ISA
CHTs remained pretty cold due to LOP operation. Other forums tell me that cold CHTs are no issue at all for Continental.

Abeam the Flying Dream
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message