Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Continental IO360 alternator capacitor

I am in need of a photo or diagram to show exactly how this is fitted both to alternator and where grounded. Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

UK, United Kingdom

I am truly surprised no one has offered any help on this minor dilemma I have. EUROGA is such a great place for contributors from so many aspects of aviation it makes me wonder if my question was too “silly”

Many thanks

UK, United Kingdom

Not at all silly. #1 thing is that with >100 posts a day, threads scroll off, so I promoted this one to the home page banners (yesterday). This is my #1 job after I get out of bed

I don’t know the actual answer but these caps normally go between the alternator output and the ground. An alternator is normally a self contained unit with the 3-phase rectifier internally, so there is nowhere else to connect it.

This thread may be of relevance.

These caps should have a big grounding tab and you just screw that to the nearest ground point. The chassis of the alternator itself is probably best, because that is where the AC has to return to. Then there should be a single wire and that goes to the single alternator output terminal.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sent a PM with photo. Hesitated to see if someone had something better to propose. Photo wasn’t really targeted at alternator, but somewhat visible on the edge. Maybe will help a bit. Need to go to the aircraft and remove cowling to get something better and specific to the question and that won’t be possible before the weekend.

Vince

LSZK, Switzerland
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message