Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Overhaul delays

Any 145 shop can “inspect” it, run it and print off the Form 1. So you could go there, pay them, and take it away.

Whether they will want liability for another engine shop’s work is the real Q. They may insist on opening it up (£££££).

Have they said why the delay?

In the absence of feedback, I tend to drive there and sit in their reception and not move until the MD comes downstairs. I did that recently with some injection moulding tools.

There are contractual remedies but let’s do the easy stuff first. Norvic are one of UK’s better companies so the reason would be interesting. However, the way most of the European scene runs is that stuff tends to get left until the customer screams and then it is “everybody to battle stations”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We have been waiting almost 1 year for a factory reman IO-360-l2A
We did the first flight today. It was really nice to get it back flying.
I’m also in a group running a F33A with an IO520.
We just had this overhauled at a local engine shop. Turnaround app. 2 months. The overhauled engine was flown first time yesterday.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Last I heard, the Centrilube STC is FAA only. That was some years ago.

I would guess that is no longer an issue since EASA FO.Cert.00134 Single Serial Validation should be applicable, or?

Germany

We have two engines in a shop in the UK and the process would bring a tear to your eye. I appreciate they can’t get the parts. They also can’t really stick to a story when you ring for an update.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

The thing is… this guy gave the engine to the shop before roughly March 2000.

If they are still really waiting for parts, the lead time on them must be over 3 years.

Really?

Administrator

Something else must be going on in that case. If he said he didn’t need it until 2021 or 2022, then they maybe just put it aside until he came back and asked for delivery at which point they started working on it …. i.e. lead times started at that point. Of course that’s not what a good shop would do, but this sounds suspicious.

LSZK, Switzerland

They were asked not to run it after the rebuild until I was ready to recieve it so that the assembly paste would prevent corrosion. They ran it anyway. Now when I want it we have agreed that they have to test it again due to the length of time in storage and that there should be some cost to that. An amount was agreed and paid.
Three months and three broken promises later…..

Forever learning
EGTB

It would be good to hear what you find out when you physically go there.

That’s what I would do.

Administrator

I guess someone there is reading this because all of a sudden the engine is ready…..

Forever learning
EGTB

Peter wrote:

The thing is… this guy gave the engine to the shop before roughly March 2000.

If they are still really waiting for parts, the lead time on them must be over 3 years.

Really?

I have to admit, it is not unreasonable to so … one quote for a factory new cylinder was 40 month lead time. Times are crazy!

Germany
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message