Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the original CHT gauge indicating?

@Peter hopefully you like seeing your engine in a simple application (unlike TB21) where it is able to provide full power at FL200!
A pity @UdoR has not yet found a useful way to use higher than 50%…but he is on the way to addressing it! I bet this aircraft can do better than 180KTAS at altitude LOP once properly set up.

Last Edited by Antonio at 22 Oct 11:26
Antonio
LESB, Spain

UdoR wrote:

analog CHT gauge shows never more than something like 220°F to maybe 250°F.

you probably have a piggback kind of adapter on whatever cylinder the factory cht is plugged to.
This can cause jpi to show lower cht (or higher depending on how it is connected).
what you can do is just boil some water. Dip the factory probe in it and jpi probe. See what they read on the gauge.
you can see that which probe is more accurrate.

Switzerland

Antonio wrote:

180KTAS at altitude LOP

Yes it should actually.

I made some testing on my last 850nm flight to Spain and am very impressed about how important the baffling is. I found a quite big hole close to cylinder 6 in the baffling and closed it (prior to the flight of course). It should be closed with a piece of felt, and it is still there but not in the right position. Temperature of cylinder number 6 (my hottest one) went down from 390 to 310°F on identical power setting. I couldn’t believe it. Found some more leaks and am working on perfection here to get all cylinders to similar temperatures.

So maybe when all baffling work is done the temperature indications of the original probe and the JPI probes might come closer to one another.

As a sidenote I think I’m lucky that I have the JPI probes installed. If it wasn’t for them indicating the high temperatures I wouldn’t have reduced the power so far, and would have ended up with a roasted engine.

Last Edited by UdoR at 26 Oct 14:03
Germany

Antonio wrote:

Then your engine layout must be closer to this

Yes that’s coming close! I can’t actually see it whether this Comanche already has the long Tiger Shark nose, but the baffling looks the same. Oil cooler is on the same place. In flight direction it’s on the left side of the firewall, the air intake is on the right side.

Germany
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message