Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the original CHT gauge indicating?

It takes only a very small leak past the baffle seals to screw up the CHTs – see the thread on baffle seals. By re-doing them in the proper PTFE-coated stiff material brought CHTs down from 400+ (on a warm day; 440 when departing in Greece at +35C) down to about 360.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@UdoR , you are correct that too high a temperature as well as too low is bad for your cylinders.

The problem with low temps is that lead salts and other deposits do not get cleaned up and accummulate, leading to exhaust valve leaks, guide wear and eventually burned valves as well as other problems, especially on Contis.

The problem with high temps is the metallurgy of the aluminum heads is such that they weaken significantly above around 400F leading to eventual cracking.

On Contis you should aim to always be above 300F and below 400F. Ideally 350F-390F depending on sources and depending on how and where you measure. I think Lycos should be similar, although they usually have a higher CHT limitation.

The challenge for low temps is of course descent: how do you keep it warm enough? A short while at 250F will not hurt your engine but if you do a long descent at 500fpm from 20000ft (that is 40 mins!) at 250F that is bad.

The challenge for high temps is of course climb as well as cruise. ROP you should be rich enough to ensure <400F, LOP you should be lean enough to ensure<390F

In order to be able to have good management of your temps you need to start from good baseline data:

• Your baffling needs to be doing most of its job.
    No major holes or missing pieces of seal. @EuroFlyer’s advise is very good but that is the next level and perhaps some of the specific brand solutions do not apply to your Comanche. You should start by ensuring all sheet metal parts and associated flexible seals exist and are in the correct place and orientation . That is the basis from which you can improve. If you are not even covering the basics baffling-wise then don’t waste your time pluggin little holes with RTV…fix the big items before you start fine tuning. Look at baffling pics from other Comanches and use the parts catalogue to guide you (you have a parts catalogue for your aircraft, right?). Also were there any baffling or cooling changes associated to your turbocharger mod? Do you have the info or is it perhaps the OEM mod?
  • Your temperature indication should be correct.

Distilled water boiling at 212F at SL is a known reference for single-point verification of your probes. Immersing them in boiling distilled water should indicate around that. Just don’t get burned while testing it please (don’t ask me how I know of that risk).
I used to have spring-loaded JPI probes on the cylinder of my former IO360 and they were very accurate. Are those the same type that your O-540 uses?

Perhaps one cylinder is using the spark plug washer JPI probe since the OEM probe occupies the orifice on the head ?

If so then that cylinder would tend to indicate differently on t he JPI vs the other cyls.

If all is correct and you have the right type of probes, then crud inside the cylinder head probe orifice or different spring tension may be affecting reading. Make sure the orifice is clean and the probe is correctly torqued.

As indicated by @Malibuflyer, 50% power is a very low power setting and CHT should be well in control. You should be able to fly 65% or more LOP without CHT control issues. 65% power is in fact better for your engine than 50%: keeps it cleaner and piston rings properly seated!

The excellent Pelican’s Perch series on Avweb by John Deakin has quite a few articles on engine management that you would enjoy reading and get a wealth of engine management info from

Last Edited by Antonio at 20 Oct 20:08
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Yes thanks for all the input. I’ll check it out.

Germany

A couple of pics of how baffling should look like on a Comanche, I guess similar to how yours should look like

The orange parts are the flexible seals. The ones you cannot see in this picture are equally important:

-The inter-cylinder metallic baffles
-The baffle sealing with the forward cowling bowl

Last Edited by Antonio at 20 Oct 20:20
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

I guess similar to how yours should look like

No, it’s not even near similar. Thanks for sharing, but the air flow beneath the turbo cowling is really quite totally different. It is not only that the Tiger shark cowling of the “C Comanche” already has a different airflow to what looks like a B Comanche in the pictures, the Turbo needs a separated air flow for air intake and that goes right from the inlet over the cylinders. On the other side of the engine is another portion of airflow directed on the oil cooler which sits on the firewall. So yes, I know what baffles and seals are and how they should perform. We won’t solve that here. I have to inspect my baffles and seals and do whatever might be necessary.

Antonio wrote:

I used to have spring-loaded JPI probes on the cylinder of my former IO360 and they were very accurate. Are those the same type that your O-540 uses?

Yes those look quite similar to what I have installed.

I might add that according to my information here Lycoming states that the metallurgy of my engine differs from other engines, so that it may be run hotter by at least 35°F.

Last Edited by UdoR at 21 Oct 08:06
Germany
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@UdoR which model is yours and is the turbo OEM or aftermarket?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Antonio It’s one of the 26 factory-built C Comanche Turbos. So it has another engine type, not just simply an aftermarket turbo in a retrofit.

Germany

Aha! 260 TC nice! Then all the info on baffling should be in the OEM documentation.

I’m glad you know how baffling works. You’d be surprised at the number of aircraft out there with reversed or missing baffle seals or inter-cylinder baffles.

Last Edited by Antonio at 22 Oct 05:43
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Then your engine layout must be closer to this

But this one has the oil cooler on the bottom rh of the latter pic

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message