Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Panel overhauls - regrets

I would definitely want a direct manual switch for the audio source.

I don’t have any regrets because I haven’t done much to mine

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A mode S (or any) transponder in the UK might soon be regretted

I had a GTR225A radio installed on purchase as the minimum to be 8.33 compliant: an easy fix to be flying quickly. A GNC255 with nav wasn’t that much more expensive, and for approx the same a recertified GNS430 would do a lot more, but for the same hassle I might as well have opted for a 650 or 750, and maybe at the same time rearrange the panel and rewire everything. I’m reluctant to do this unless replacing most of the equipment, so full circle back to doing the minimum.

For context, current fit:
8.33 kHz & 25 kHz radios, VOR/ILS, DME, ADF, slaved HSI, mode C, Piper Autocontrol, audio panel, intercom.

In hindsight maybe a 430 or 530 might have been best to get a cheap panel mounted gps.

Open to suggestions

USB power in the back is a very good idea.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

A mode S (or any) transponder in the UK might soon be regretted

Why? are they moving from ModeS to EC as per CAP1391 with everybody getting 250£ to fit ADSB, SE2, PAW & Co !

(or are you referring to CAP1404, CAP2125, CAP2126 )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Apart from Mode S which is pretty much mandatory for Belgium&Netherlands, I would just fly and enjoy Capitaine !

If you lack something one day, make a note.

LFOU, France

LOL I did worse. I wanted to do IFR training and couldn’t resist replacing my GNS530 with an IFD540 for 13k.
Only after I started my IFR flights, I realized how much it sucked without an autopilot. I could have stayed with GNS530 and spent the money on GFC500. IFD540 is amazing but I definitely had the priorities wrong. But anyway, I am now expecting to have dual G5 with OAT, GFC500 with aut. trim and EDM830 monitor installed in 2-3 weeks.I did inititaly regret my first move but the end result will be amazing.

Switzerland

By9468840 wrote:

I realized how much it sucked without an autopilot

Yes, that’s on my list of regrets now too. Now we get to do it all again with the next 206. Started by buying an S-Tec 55x and booking a slot at a Garmin/Genesys dealer in the UK for 2022. I have learned enough about avionics by going the “modular” route that I have no intention to repeat the experience.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

By9468840 wrote:

EDM830 monitor

Why not a EDM900, which is a certified primary replacement for the legacy gauges?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I am now expecting to have dual G5 with OAT, GFC500 with aut. trim and EDM830 monitor installed in 2-3 weeks.

@By9468840 – what are you expecting to pay for this? I am seriously thinking of going down the dual G5 (or GI275) + GFC500 route, though I already have an EDM.

LFMD, France

Talking of EDM’s or other engine analyzers

I am thinking of adding one in the position of my old EGT gauge, which is one of the small ones. If I get it right, only the older EDM’s monochrome would work, or the G1 or G2 series.

What I want is apart from the usual parameters to have carburettor temperature, plus the device has to be able to record data for engine trend monitoring.

I can not afford to remodel the whole panel and get a 900 or so, which replaces everything (even though it might be worth looking into) but for now, I am looking for something which fits into the hole of my old small EGT.

Thoughts? What devices would you recommend?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Thoughts? What devices would you recommend?

Wait for the new EASA CS STAN.

INSTALLATION OF A MULTIFUNCTION DISPLAY FOR POWERPLANT INSTRUMENTS
1. Purpose
This SC is for the installation of a multifunction display for powerplant instruments.

Page 126
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/npa_2021-06.pdf#page80

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message