Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Manufacture or repair of a composite cowling

She’s already slightly nose heavy……

Forever learning
EGTB

Just out of curiosity, what would be the effect of losing weight from that end of the aircraft upon your C of G and Weight & Balance schedule?

Xtophe wrote:

Sailplane repairers would be able to do it not sure about the cost. Maybe they would be glad for the business as we haven’t been flying and damaging out toys in field landings ;)

I spoke to Target aviation yesterday, one of the better known aviation companies that do CF and they said their lead time is best part of 6 months!

Forever learning
EGTB

Sailplane repairers would be able to do it not sure about the cost. Maybe they would be glad for the business as we haven’t been flying and damaging out toys in field landings ;)

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Also consider how important weight is. Achieving minimal weight is usually reflected in the time and cost and may not be worth the effort.

Yes, e.g. honeycomb or foam sandwich construction.

https://www.reverie.ltd.uk/carbon-manufacturing.php

Reverie are exceptionally competant – I have a number of their products.

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/composites-training-courses

I have a feeling, but dont know for sure, that Easy Composites do bespoke work. They are cetainly a good source for all you need if you fancy DIY! Their products and service are excellent. Are you painting the carbon? It is no where near as imnportant to be so exacting if you are. Also consider how important weight is. Achieving minimal weight is usually reflected in the time and cost and may not be worth the effort.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 24 Apr 19:32

This may be useful.

I think most of the work is in the moulds/patterns.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I finally have the approved repair schedule for the Falco after its landing mishap and part of those repairs include repairs to the engine cowling.
The damage is not extensive and I could quite easily repair it myself but I’m considering having a new one made from CF in order to shed some weight. This will involve making a mould from the existing cowling and then making a new cowling from that.
Does anyone know anyone in the UK who might be able to do this without me needing a mortgage?

Forever learning
EGTB

Design organisation must have a Pt21J approval. A Pt21G is required for production, Pt145 is maintenance only. If Tarbes approves a repair scheme it would be unusual if they do not supply drawings with the scheme. Never worked on a Tarbes product so can’t really comment.

United Kingdom

If there is an existing functioning supplier, normally one prices a product at just below his, taking care to produce as good or better quality.

If there is no existing supplier, normally one prices a product for what the market will pay.

Cowlings get smashed in accidents so usually the insurance pays, and they don’t really care. When I had a prop strike in 2002, they paid out almost 2x more for a prop sourced from Socata Tarbes with a JAR-1 form, than for the same prop from the US with an 8130-3.

I guess that for an EASA reg the two routes would be

• a Major Mod design package from a Part 21 DOA for a one-off
  • an EASA STC if you want to make a number of them

Doesn’t the manufacturing facility need to be 145 also?

For N-regs you would need one of the Major Alteration routes i.e

• a Field Approval
  • a DER 8110 design package
  • an STC
  • a PMA

The last two would allow production and sales.

However for a one-off you would go the owner manufactured parts route, which is brilliant. I wonder whether a transfer to EASA-reg is ever possible afterwards? AIUI, when one does an Export CofA, the acceptance onto the destination registry is as-is i.e. all mods are accepted… supposedly.

Of course you would never get drawings from Socata so maybe the EASA route is actually impossible. We have various past threads on this. This one is quite interesting.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message