Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Logging of time in a new aircraft type

Just to push one of my pet peeves: The fact that the second pilot (fulfilling a safety or operationally useful role) cannot log the time, neither as PIC nor PICUS nor double command nor instructor time, does not preclude that (s)he is still crew for all purposes in all regulations, and in particular (s)he is not passenger. And in particular:

• since (s)he is not being carried as a passenger, recency requirements do not apply to the PIC (unless there is another person that is a passenger, not crew, on the flight)
  • (s)he must have access to oxygen according to rules for crew, not rules for passengers
ELLX

The safety pilot situation is indeed a bit weird.

ELLX, Luxembourg

hazek wrote:

The safety pilot situation is indeed a bit weird.

Just to confuse everyone a bit more: in the US you can log PIC time if you are safety pilot for someone who flies practice approaches under the hood in VFR. In this case both pilots log PIC for the time that the pilot flying is under the hood.

lionel wrote:

The fact that the second pilot (fulfilling a safety or operationally useful role) cannot log the time, neither as PIC nor PICUS nor double command nor instructor time, does not preclude that (s)he is still crew for all purposes in all regulations, and in particular (s)he is not passenger. And in particular:

since (s)he is not being carried as a passenger, recency requirements do not apply to the PIC (unless there is another person that is a passenger, not crew, on the flight)
(s)he must have access to oxygen according to rules for crew, not rules for passengers

This is true and very common for Single Pilot turboprop/light bizjet operations.
Often you see two pilots (with their uniforms and lanyards and all) in the flight deck of a Single Pilot bizjet, flying under SPO rules.

One of the pilots is the PIC, the other is simply a “crew member” upon which the PIC may decide to delegate (or not) certain tasks. Sometimes both pilots possess the qualifications to be PIC and just “take turns” being PIC, other times the “other pilot” is simply riding along and accumulating “experience” before doing the type rating etc.

For all intents and purposes, i.e., insurance, handling fees, airport security etc, the “other pilot” is NOT a passenger. The fact that he’s not allowed to log any flight time doesn’t mean he is a passenger (this is a big misunderstanding).

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 07 Nov 15:44
EDDW, Germany

This is true and very common for Single Pilot turboprop/light bizjet operations.
Often you see two pilots (with their uniforms and lanyards and all) in the flight deck of a Single Pilot bizjet, flying under SPO rules.

Really? I’m familiar with such cases for private NCO/NCC flights where owner pilots are instructed/mentored or (the smart ones) simply prefer a second pilot rated/qualified pilot on SPA, however, I’ve never heard about employed crew in uniforms where one isn’t a qualified and active pilot part of the crew.

SPA in CAT are MPOps.

always learning
LO__, Austria
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message