Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

License regulations and general help needed.

VFR - Visual Flight Rules. You can (must) see the ground and a good distance in front of you. Unless that is yet another UK peculiarity, it's not true.

Used to be yet another UK peculiarity. Not anymore.

This is all you will do, in essence, while gaining your PPL and after for that matter.

Well, that depends where you learn to fly. In the US instrument navigation is very much part of the initial PPL syllabus.

I thought an EASA PPL is valid in every ICAO country, LAPL is only valid in EASAland.

Nope. An EASA license will - when it comes to validity - be essentially the same as a JAR license, i.e. valid in the contracting states. It won't be valid anywhere else, except, of course, after validation/conversion.

[text quoting fixed up]

JAR / JAA was the overarching body that loosely covered European aviation until recently.

The JAA was nothing more than a collection of National Aviation Authorities who agreed to follow a common standard (JARs) based believe it or bot on the FAA FARs. The JAA was not a legal entity and had no authority whatsoever. It ceased to exist in June 2010. JARs then formed the basis of EASA regulation.

Nope. An EASA license will - when it comes to validity - be essentially the same as a JAR license, i.e. valid in the contracting states. It won't be valid anywhere else, except, of course, after validation/conversion.

JAR (EASA) licenses are valid in all ICAO countries. That means you can fly an EASA reg to any country you like without validation. If you fly to Greece and pass Croatia (non-EASA) you don't need a validation. With a LAPL only valid in EASA countries you are not allowed to overfly Croatia at all.

You confuse regulations to fly in planes with other (non-country of license) registration with validity of the license.

United Kingdom

With a LAPL only valid in EASA countries you are not allowed to overfly Croatia at all.

I am not sure that is (or will be) true.

There are EU members but there are no "EASA countries" in any clear sense.

Norway and Switzerland are non-EU but have adopted EASA FCL. Norway, I understand from a local pilot there, implemented the anti N-reg EASA FCL policies without derogation.

Most of non-EU Europe is still "contracting" to EASA. Croatia is more or less adopting EASA policies. It's true that EASA has recently said they refuse to accept Croatian "JAA" licensing (which is a farce given they accept Spanish and Greek FCL) but I don't see Croatia refusing to accept the LAPL for example. Croatia is just too laid back and far too smart to shaft aviation tourism.

Even Egypt uses Eurocontrol to collect it's charges...

If the UK left the EU it would still follow EASA regs, PROB99... it would not be bound by EU directives, but the end result would not be much different for FCL.

On flying VMC on top, holders of UK issued JAR-FCL PPLs do not need sight of surface since April 2012. Holders of UK issued national (non-JAR-FCL) PPLs still need to be in sight of surface. In practice, of course, this is moot because nobody is watching, and whatever you do you need to be able to get back down. UK PPL training does not equip you to navigate usefully other than map+stopwatch - at most schools.

An EASA license will - when it comes to validity - be essentially the same as a JAR license, i.e. valid in the contracting states. It won't be valid anywhere else, except, of course, after validation/conversion.

We may have wires crossed but a normal JAR-FCL PPL is an ICAO PPL and is thus valid in all (approx 200) ICAO contracting states if your plane is registered in the country of your license issue.

The JAR/JAA business is just a mutual validation scheme, which enables the holder of such to fly a plane registered in any JAA state, using his existing PPL and medical. So the holder of a JAA (UK-issued) PPL can go to say Germany and fly a D-reg. The holder of a non-JAA (UK-issued) PPL cannot do that and would need a German validation.

But the holder of any ICAO PPL, flying a plane registered in the country of his license issue, can fly to/over any ICAO contracting state.

The LAPL will not be an ICAO PPL, I believe entirely due to the GP (sub ICAO) medical. You won't be able to fly on it to/over say Turkey unless Turkey accepts it (which Turkey may well do, given its ambitions to become JAA compliant etc...).

My view of the LAPL is that it will be great for VFR-only pilots, because going far outside Europe is a rapidly escalating logistics hassle anyway (avgas, etc). And it will be completely useless for anybody else because there will be no way to add any instrument privileges to it. IMHO, it will be like the NPPL i.e. offering a route to keep flying for pilots who cannot get (or fail) the CAA Class 2 medical. Anybody who can get the medical shouldn't bother with the LAPL.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@mdoerr: You are right, I know the difference, but should have been clearer in my comment.

Note to self - don't post before the first espresso has kicked in ;-)

For the attention of 172driver or anyone who can clarify his response to my first question regarding Norway/uk regs...

Below is a copy of the response I recieved from an instructor here in Norway... have received an answer from CAA Norway today. It may not be 100% correct due to copy paste in Google translate. Here it goes:

"Hi Sigurd,

The plan was for Norway to have introduced new regulations in line with other EU countries, but this process is delayed. We expect that this will be in place shortly. After the implementation of new regulations, anyone can take education to PPL in Norway and fly any aircraft in another EU country, and the other EEA countries.

Currently we only PPL theory exam in Norwegian, but it will as an alternative be possible to implement theoretical knowledge instruction and theory examinations in England, for example, then carry out the practical training in Norway."

Please can someone clarify as driver172 said Norway was already a country within the EEA regs rules...

bristol, oslo

Sorry, Nate, beats me as well. Norways is listed as full EASA member state. Sounds like there's a spanner in the works somewhere.....

Lol no worrys mate thanks anyway-Omg my head hurts- can some categorically clarify this?

So completing ppl in Norway with intention of moving back to uk and flying their... Good IDea or bad?

bristol, oslo

Give it a day or so. There are pilots on here from Norway and they should know.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nate,

I do not think that it would matter much where you start your "flying adventure", and getting a PPL is just the beginning!

I would like to suggest that you start learning to fly as soon as practicable - in Norway or in England - to make use of the good summer weather.

Don't worry too much about "the paperwork" - I am sure that "to validate" a Norwegian PPL for use in England (if, in fact, such "validation" would be required) would be a very simple and straightforward matter.

Safe flying :)

YSCB
Sign in to add your message