Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LAA Permit Aircraft stationed abroad

Peter wrote:

The obvious solution is to find an LAA inspector who is willing to travel.

Actually this is not a problem. The LAA inspectors are enthusiasts very much willing to help.
But, what they do is inspection. Then they sent a report to LAA and based on that LAA issues the new PtF.
Thus, if LAA states “unable to accept the PtF renewal application”, there do not seem to be any ways around it.

Presumably the vital component here is a UK address

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why not get a UK mail forwarding company? Might be too late now in your case, as they might smell a rat. But if you hadn’t made a fuss, and used a UK mail forwarding company, they’d never have known any different.

Many years ago, I used this company, to get something that would only be posted to a UK address.

UK Postbox

The service was cheap, the address didn’t look obviously like a PO Box. They scanned any mail received and forward it by email.

If you needed the original, you could pay extra to have it forwarded.

In your case though, there is a danger that they’ve put a note on your file, and then start asking for further evidence of your home address (eg utility bills, driving licence etc).

EIWT Weston, Ireland

achimha wrote:

Millions of Germans would be happy if what you write was actually true. We are forced members of quite a few organizations in different areas.

It’s true in Norway. I thought it was true everywhere (civilized places at least), it’s basic human rights. Everyone is free to organize themselves, and no one can force people to join an organisation. In practice it is a bit garbled though. The government can delegate tasks and responsibilities to organizations, and those organisations often end up being monopolies. The microlight organisation in Norway is such an organisation (a monopoly basically). The regulations only say operation of microlight must be done within an organisation that has a system of safety (including training, licenses etc) approved by the CAA. Anyone can make such an organisation though, but why bother? I imagine the LAA must be something similar.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Why not get a UK mail forwarding company?

I think that would work for homebuilding bodies who merely want a domestic address (e.g. The Netherlands (PH-reg) wants that, according to several reports).

But the UK LAA inspector physically checks and test-flies the aircraft so obviously he will know he is in say Germany when he is doing that You would need both the mailbox and an inspector willing to participate in the “deception”. It’s well known that some LAA inspectors do travel but finding them isn’t going to be easy if you are abroad and have no UK connections. Especially as no LAA inspector is going to discussing that via PMs passing through a server owned by the LAA Maybe attending some LAA event would be far more productive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not if you fly the aircraft to the engineer/inspector.

You fly it there. He knows that you have you two places. That you live mainly in Germany but have a “summer house” in the UK. You use the “Summer House” as the mailing address (which in actual fact is a mail forwarding company).

He’s no reason to think any different. In fact he’s very unlikely to ask you much about where you live at all….just where to send the invoice to!

No one needs to know you liver permanently outside the UK. If you really want to complete the puzzle, get a UK phone number too ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Please be aware, that there are also non native Speakers who may want to keep a PTF-aircraft abroad. It’s easy for an LAA-inspector to identify them

I’ve posted on the LAA forum and am curious about answers (if there will be any…..)

EDLE

If you’ve posted on the LAA forum then you will of course have had to use your real name and not a pseudonym…………

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 26 Aug 22:25
Forever learning
EGTB

Silvaire wrote:

The EAA in the U.S. is a club having no regulatory role whatsoever.

I know that. That’s how it is most places. Experimental are handled by the authorities. In practice there is always some organisation there, so the difference for most builders is mostly academic. It’s when the plane is finished that the oddeties of a system such as the LAA (apparently) becomes an issue in certain circumstances.

Obviously such a system can never work satisfactory except within single countries, whereas a system where the CAA manages things have no such problems.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message