Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Knowing your autopilot

Garmin is providing software updates for free. You have to pay for the 10 mins update and the paperwork. I'm still not happy about their policy and customer care.

United Kingdom

I've just noticed this:

So Honeywell / King did think it was applicable to that model.

And their other models are very similar.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So Honeywell / King did think it was applicable to that model.

Our Honeywell autopilot (as well as every other autopilot I have used so far) also requires a preflight test! How to perform it is described in the manual. But there is no placard, the test is part of the taxi checklist.

EDDS - Stuttgart

On the Meridian the checklist item is:

Verify pre-flight self-test complete and disconnect tone heard.

EGTK Oxford

Intercepting glideslope from above

This incident, although involving a jet, made me wonder what the procedure for that should be.

It does occasionally happen that one gets vectored to a position which is above the glideslope.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This incident, although involving a jet, made me wonder what the procedure for that should be.

This incident could easily have been avoided by checking altitude against distance (as taught right from the first IR lesson) at some specified points, usually the final approach fix then something like the outer marker or it's DME replacement and again at the 1000ft or 500ft "gate" by which the stability criteria have to be met. This is part of the SOPs of every commercial operator otherwise he would never get his operating manuals certified. I know quite a few pilots who, following this incident and some others, do not allow their familiy members to fly with the airline mentioned in that report...

If you find yourself above the glideslope, you usually (depending on company procedures of course) have time until the 1000 or 500ft gate to stabilise yourself on the approach by descending at an increased rate, carefully observing the distance/altitude profile. If not stabilised at the specified gate, go around. In five years of flying (small) jets, I had to do that only once. Late descent clearance together with a short vector to final, and despite some "sink rate - sink rate" warnings from the GPWS (which at some operators already would have triggered an immediate go-around) we were unable to stabilise the approach until 500ft above minimum (our company "gate").

EDDS - Stuttgart

we were unable to stabilise the approach until 500ft above minimum (our company "gate")

This is, in my limited experience, a very "low" threshold for "stabilising" an ILS approach in a jet....

What was your Vref for this approach?

YSCB

This is, in my limited experience, a very "low" threshold for "stabilising" an ILS approach in a jet....

It is indeed quite low, but otherwise we wouldn't be able to fly the kind of approach that the controllers at out home base like us to do...

What was your Vref for this approach?

Typical values for that aeroplane are between 105 and 110 knots (Citation V).

EDDS - Stuttgart

Link doesn't seem to work Peter.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

This is the correct URL

http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2012/f-zu120313.en/pdf/f-zu120313.en.pdf

The forum had appended "http://www.euroga.org/forums/flying" to the front of it.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message