Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen approach plates vs AIP plates

But Jeppesen will not give anybody a licence for their charts because they want to sell their own VFR apps ... I tried that!

I definitely recall seeing a moving map GPS box which offered the Jepp Raster Charts as an option. "Flymap" perhaps? They did charge a few hundred € however - as expected.

I've never seen anybody reselling Jepp terminal charts, or airway charts.

I am paying about €1300 for a three screen g1000, all databases (terrain, obstacles etc), navdata and plates for Western Europe. This includes Jeppview and JeppFD for iPad.

Depends on what you mean by "Europe" which in Jepp language is Europe west of the Iron Curtain which is about €1400 for IFR and VFR. I know somebody currently paying that.

To get the communist countries as well, like CZ, Yugoslavia, etc, comes to about €2000/year.

A lot of pilots who buy Jepps and fly a lot buy the "Jepp Europe" sub and download the AIP plates if they want to fly to e.g. Prague.

the AIP plates is that don't print our very well on A5, and are barely readable in flight

I know this sounds like a conspiracy but I think this is intentional, and does anybody know what were the terms of the famous confidential settlement between Jepp and the various CAAs who sued Jepp some years ago? Nobody I know who might know has ever spoken about it, but I can't believe the CAAs would have just walked away. Some sort of a deal must have been done.

don't forget there are a huge number of pilots out there who are not prepared to pay anything. The same group that resents landing fees, however low, and won't buy up to date charts (in any form) as they are too expensive.

Sure, and this sets the bottom line for any database selling business. So much stuff is free - especially if the customer does some pretty basic research.

The number of way out of date Pooleys guides which sell on Ebay each year is staggering, as a percentage of the UK pilot population that is believed to be actually flying reasonably regularly.

But the blame for this is on the internet... It has destroyed a lot of businesses. Still, an amazing number of businesses (that are purely intermediaries) are still doing very well, despite the once widespread fear of a 100% disintermediation. And many new ones have appeared. When I recall the struggles of starting a business in 1978, and again in 1991, when almost every customer had to be visited and lunched, the ease with which one can start a business out of a bedroom which looks like a 100-person company is quite nice. IF one knows how to do it...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I pay € 1700 for the European IFR Approach Charts, 2 x GNS430 Data, Navdata for the MFD. And I think that is A LOT of money for this data. One could also argue that some of it (approch charts) should actually be free, just like the signs on the highway.

If I flew for business all the time, of course that's ok. But if you calculate how much each IFR approach costs you when you're just a private pilot.

I also do not think that it's very fair that you have to pay 2 times for the GNS430, or a little less if you pay their package deal.

Peter, yes, Jeppesen sold their VFR/GPS cmaps for some time, but they stopped that. I tried many times to get a license for apps we wanted to develop, no chance!

I think Jepp have started adopting a slightly better approach on new systems. eg with G1000 I am paying for the flitedeck with a PilotPak. I actually think 2xGNS systems are treated worse as they are seen as two systems.

The GTNs also have this PilotPak idea which appears to save a lot if you want all the databases.

EGTK Oxford

Vref, I'm happy with the title because it's the comparison I intended.

The question wasn't really about the Jepp business model and what they may or may not do.

It was about one person recoiling in horror at the suggestion that one could use the UK AIP plates rather than the Jepp ones. Yes the Jepp ones may be more readable by common consent, but at the end of the day they are just different and one can become used to whichever format one uses.

I don't mind them being A4 rather than A5. I don't fly ILS approaches often enough to make establishing a DA a chore.

EGLM & EGTN

A european APP plate standard specification could be a way forward ( A counter part of the NACO charts). This would open the door for automation and have them publsihed electronically with a current AIRAC eff date.. We have already the eAIP specification in Europe it could be quite feasible to make an electronic eAPP spec..if there would be political willingness of course..

Look at the VFR Charts they where harmonized and now the DFS and JEPP are using the same colors synoptics etc...

EBST

Yes; we've done all this before

The cost of multiple device subs is just a small increment over the cost of a single device sub. I recall recently looking up say 2 x GNS530W and it was about 20% more than 1 x GNS530W.

Finding out the price was non-trivial and involved filling various shopping trolleys on their site

But the real price they extract is from users of panel mounted devices, who want to display terminal charts, on which there is no option but to pay the full whack and there is no (legal or illegal) way to spread that across multiple users, other than by syndicating the aircraft (or renting it out and building it into the rental cost).

One can get a terminal chart package price for a PC, Ipad and an MFD, but the fact that you have an MFD one in there prevents any way of spreading the cost.

Whereas anybody who can fly with terminal charts in paper or as PDF can spread the cost. Needless to say this option is not lost on the vast majority of pilots...

For this reason I would never want an MFD product for the Jepp option - I would never want to pay the 2k/year. That is more than I spend on the whole Annual...

A lot of stuff is free. For example, for the UK, there is old crappy Memory Map which can run georeferenced airport charts for UK airports, so you won't get lost at an airport again. The airport charts were a free download from their website.

A european APP plate standard specification could be a way forward

I suspect there will be resistance, for reasons which are less than readily apparent...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The number of way out of date Pooleys guides which sell on Ebay each year is staggering, as a percentage of the UK pilot population that is believed to be actually flying reasonably regularly

Incredible. I know of one pilot who used the 200x Pooleys plate for Cromer UK, only to find out in few years that followed, the who airfield had moved by a few miles or so (owing to a family dispute) and its runway orientation had changed. The only use for out of date flight guides is for those using flight simulators.

A european APP plate standard specification could be a way forward<

I suspect there will be resistance, for reasons which are less than readily apparent...<

It has to do with the obligations of the state AIS which is linked to Annex 15 and soon coming ADQ regulations. Unfortunately publishing user friendly APP plates is not part of that scope

EBST

But the real price they extract is from users of panel mounted devices, who want to display terminal charts, on which there is no option but to pay the full whack and there is no (legal or illegal) way to spread that across multiple users, other than by syndicating the aircraft (or renting it out and building it into the rental cost).

Of course there is - you still get 4 devices to use with Jeppview/iPads if you buy MFD charts. If you are happy to syndicate that out, then it is no different from a non-panel mount charts sub.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message