Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

J Wagner ILS to minimums. :-) (and how much of the approach light system and the runway needs to be visible at minima)

Time for an IPC, then. As already mentioned in the video

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Him being rusty, has more to do with a live debreif on camera instead of getting fully concentrated on flying (vs commenting or editing his videos later?).

I already find it difficult to handle ATC/Pax and few neddles in IMC, that eats all my brain power, let alone doing a live debreif on my last minute errors while comunicating a PA to 1 million YT passengers :)

I never heard airliners making anouncements after the flaps goes down, there is a reason for that !

Like all rated pilots, I think he will fly it perfectly when he is 100% on it but he had already reached that point before and now some bad habits will start to creep in: it can only get wrose after that point, one may get away with few ones but not for for very long…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’ve been watching this guys videos for a while. Honestly, I don’t know how he isn’t dead. He’s flying a netoriously complex aircraft and is usually 3 steps behind what the aircraft is doing.

There is one from a while back where he flies a NPA so poorly that he ends up doing a left hand orbit over the field to drop down to field elevation. Another where he asks for a low approach to a field and proceeds to fly down an approach at near Vmo taking the controller by surprise and ending up having to side step to avoid a conflict with departing traffic.

He doesn’t do anything the same way twice. He does “GUMPS” checks completely randomly. Usually arrives in the pattern at his home field with too much speed and altitude and somehow has to dump it all to get on the ground.

It’s entertaining though.

Last Edited by LondonMike at 06 Feb 08:34

JasonC wrote:

This guy is lucky not to be dead. That is genuinely how you kill yourself in IMC. And without slewing his CDI he would have died hand flying as well.

there should have been a few warnings :

according to this —> https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Stabilised_Approach an approach is established and stabilised when :

The aircraft is on the correct flight path
Only small changes in heading/pitch are necessary to maintain the correct flight path
The airspeed is not more than VREF + 20kts indicated speed and not less than VREF
The aircraft is in the correct landing configuration
Sink rate is no greater than 1000 feet/minute; if an approach requires a sink rate greater than 1000 feet/minute a special briefing should be conducted
Power setting is appropriate for the aircraft configuration and is not below the minimum power for the approach as defined by the operating manual
All briefings and checklists have been conducted
Specific types of approach are stabilized if they also fulfil the following:
Instrument Landing System (ILS) approaches must be flown within one dot of the glide-slope and localizer
a Category II or III approach must be flown within the expanded localizer band
during a circling approach wings should be level on final when the aircraft reaches 300 feet above airport elevation; and,
Unique approach conditions or abnormal conditions requiring a deviation from the above elements of a stabilized approach require a special briefing.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

JasonC wrote:

Half a dot? Wow you hold yourself to a high standard! You sure you don’t mean half scale? :)

Oops, indeed. Sorry :-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Ibra wrote:

There is also the opposite for those hand flying with low currency to be able to use AP as last resort to fly down to their license minima, but I guess in this video, the lesson you are referring to is more appropriate. In any case, nothing better than having a lot of currency in hand flying…

Yes you should be able to hand fly but single pilot in proper IMC is IMHO not the place to practice. Do it with a safety pilot. Learn how to use your autopilot properly.

This guy is lucky not to be dead. That is genuinely how you kill yourself in IMC. And without slewing his CDI he would have died hand flying as well.

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Feb 23:16
EGTK Oxford

Dave_Phillips wrote:

There’s also a lesson for those who predominately fly approaches on AP. Perhaps they should maintain currency in hand flying?

There is also the opposite for those hand flying with low currency to be able to use AP as last resort to fly down to their license minima, but I guess in this video, the lesson you are referring to is more appropriate. In any case, nothing better than having a lot of currency in hand flying…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There’s also a lesson for those who predominately fly approaches on AP. Perhaps they should maintain currency in hand flying?

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

wow that is sloppy… I was taught to go missed if the deflection is more than 0.5 of a dot up or sideways

Half a dot? Wow you hold yourself to a high standard! You sure you don’t mean half scale? :)

EGTK Oxford

FTFY

Ibra wrote:

I think there is a name for that, it is called having no clue what’s going on while using valuable mental power to sound like a Southwest pilot on the radio
always learning
LO__, Austria
120 Posts
Sign in to add your message