Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is it just the UK, or has the 2022/2023 winter been exceptionally horrible everywhere?

Around here it has been much colder than it has been the last 20-30 years.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Is it just the UK, or has the 2022/2023 winter been exceptionally horrible everywhere?

So, just UK then.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

March in England was very wet = wettest since 1981. [The March rainfall total for England was 119.2mm which represents 180% of the 1961 to 1990 long term average (LTA) for the time of year (204% of the 1991 to 2020 LTA)].

Some people with grass airfield bases have really suffered; I’ve got two renewal tests still waiting for their airfield to be usable.

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

This winter has been weird on the Scottish hills. On two flights the snow cover was complete – something I don’t see every year. In between, and before and after, there was very little snow. Lately a more normal cover.
Much more east and south wind than before 2020. And where I live lots of dry days.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Agree with @Dan and @eurogaguest1980. This winter was fairly mild, initially practically no snow but still wet enough to make up for the predicted draught. There was also substantially less fog than in other years, primarily in fall due to the lack of humidity.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Here in California the wettest on record with an incessant parade of atmospheric rivers (Google it) and up to 20m – yes, 20 meters! – of snow in the Sierras. Also Tulare Lake forming again in the Central Valley. Pretty amazing. Beautiful days in between.

Very dry in south east of France, but tons of winds, and this is not changing.

LFMD, France

Aha, then there is something about Swiss RV flyers? I am sure they are highly experienced pilots who can fly in marginal weather with reduced VMC (1500m & 500ft) on SVFR into controlled runways or GPS-themselves into every grass strip with ground in sight while keeping under sub-140kias

They never cancel flights, they are not the average VFR pilots who navigate using paper maps

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Apr 08:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Same experience as Dan, not surprisingly. I can only think of a few times I’ve wanted to fly but could not due to WX. Like yesterday evening – looked great when I left the house, and then a nice little storm came out of nowhere over the Jura bringing visibility to sub-VFR levels.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

The winter in what the Met Office calls simply “the except the North and West” (as in “It will be bright and sunny everywhere except the North and West where it will be a force 9 gale with horizontal rain”) has not been all that bad this winter. Quite a lot of the winter was surprisingly dry and mild.

Andreas IOM
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message