Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is it just the UK, or has the 2022/2023 winter been exceptionally horrible everywhere?

Rain, more rain, since Nov/Dec… Almost never stops. And now convective wx all over Europe for a number of days.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Germany was very average. Not too much snow, not too cold. Not too much sunshine either, but still a good number of very flyable days.

Some convective weather in April is totally normal.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Very nice, but warmer than average Winter here in CHE.
Less precipitation in the first half. Snow only happened in the higher locations, which means quite a few resorts were affected.

The GA flying was almost not affected by the Winter, and we also encountered way less foggy days than usual

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

It was flyable every weekend in NW of France except the two weeks mid December when it was atrocious…however, the grass airfields in Normandie were closed almost every weekend due to rain or wind, I am still waiting for mine to open this Sunday

Cold convective weather early April is normal, a friend did an unplanned 700km gliding two weeks ago under these, it could be a problem when going over mountains or clouds

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Apr 07:09
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The winter in what the Met Office calls simply “the except the North and West” (as in “It will be bright and sunny everywhere except the North and West where it will be a force 9 gale with horizontal rain”) has not been all that bad this winter. Quite a lot of the winter was surprisingly dry and mild.

Andreas IOM

Same experience as Dan, not surprisingly. I can only think of a few times I’ve wanted to fly but could not due to WX. Like yesterday evening – looked great when I left the house, and then a nice little storm came out of nowhere over the Jura bringing visibility to sub-VFR levels.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Aha, then there is something about Swiss RV flyers? I am sure they are highly experienced pilots who can fly in marginal weather with reduced VMC (1500m & 500ft) on SVFR into controlled runways or GPS-themselves into every grass strip with ground in sight while keeping under sub-140kias

They never cancel flights, they are not the average VFR pilots who navigate using paper maps

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Apr 08:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Very dry in south east of France, but tons of winds, and this is not changing.

LFMD, France

Here in California the wettest on record with an incessant parade of atmospheric rivers (Google it) and up to 20m – yes, 20 meters! – of snow in the Sierras. Also Tulare Lake forming again in the Central Valley. Pretty amazing. Beautiful days in between.

Agree with @Dan and @eurogaguest1980. This winter was fairly mild, initially practically no snow but still wet enough to make up for the predicted draught. There was also substantially less fog than in other years, primarily in fall due to the lack of humidity.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message