Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iPad with iOS 8.3 and external Garmin Glo malfunction

Computers are there to do a job. If it does the job you need, don’t mess with it

Many people like to stuff everything with the latest updates. That’s OK but you are taking a risk that something will break. It’s an acceptable policy if the device is just a toy for the kids, or you have two of them so can test the updates on one of them first. But really anything used in flight is pretty critical.

And the often quoted stuff about security is mostly rubbish. If you don’t use IE for web browsing, don’t use Outlook for email, and don’t let kids use the computer (they tend to click on every link that comes up, and just trash the machine) then you have removed some 99% of your vulnerability.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you’re not updating “anything iOS” and know about IT then there’s no way I will again, lol

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

iOS 8.3 also blocks access to Apps data via tools like iMazing / DiskAid / Iexplorer.

That is really seriously bad news.

That route provided a really good way to load all kinds of data into an Ipad.

No way am I updating “anything IOS” anymore.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I mentioned earlier on a diffrent thread that I was considering swapping my SD running on Nexus 7 (new gen) to Garmin Pilot and SD on Ipad mini with GDL39 or other external GPS…..This thread makes me having second thoughts.now.and wait out till this bug is solved…

EBST

iOS 8.3 also blocks access to Apps data via tools like iMazing / DiskAid / Iexplorer.
This affects users that have approach plates on their iPad from a source I cannot mention otherwise I’m breaching the posting rules ;-)

Background here: http://imazing.com/news/ios-8-3-apps-access

we are sitting next to each other

next to each other is still maybe 5 lambda at the GPS frequencies, so there is likely already no correlation between the field strength at one place vs. the other.

LSZK, Switzerland

The built in GPS will do almost everything just as well

Strangely enough I find that not to be the case. My co-pilots and I all have 3G iPad minis. Mine never loses a connection, the other two do – happens when we are sitting next to each other.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

You can alwayys downgrade your iPads to 8.2 and wait for the fix

It will happen again, and with all companies. Things break, mistakes are beeing made.

Also: The built in GPS will do almost everything just as well

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 27 Apr 12:02

As one using two iPads: a yoke mounted mini running Garmin Pilot (GP), Sky Demon (SD) and Air Nav Pro (ANP) and a full iPad running the same+ and both drawing GPS from an external XGPS160 or Garmin GLO (with the 2.7 firmware update) I complained bitterly to Apple when they screwed up last time – on the 8.0 to 8.10 upgrade.

They assured me it could not happen again and that the instance concerned was a one off – clearly not true – so simply waiting for Apple to correct their cock-up, as suggested by Flyer59, is not an option.

The work around suggested by Jude I am sure will work but fearing making a complete Horlicks of the thing, I have no option but to acquire two plug-in GPSs to avoid the Bluetooth issue in the future – so far I have three GPS units, the two above being supplemented by a GNS2000 – now make that five!

I know, I had the option not to upgrade both iPads at the same time – but after Apple’s grovelling apology and using hope / experience I did: are Apple lying – are they talking??

The GNS2000 works perfectly with iPad/iPhone, and I think with € 70 it’s not really “terribly overpriced”

Just wait for the next iOS update and it will all work again as it did in 8.2. In case somebody missed it: GPS does work in Flight Mode with 8.3

28 Posts
Sign in to add your message