Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iPad with iOS 8.3 and external Garmin Glo malfunction

At least it proved I haven’t lost the ability to read a chart !

Installing the Apple iOS 8.3 update on my mini iPad and using an external Garmin Glo caused SkyDemon not to be able to find location data.
Apple seem to be aware of the problem but said when speaking to them today that they didn’t know how to fix this or when they would issue a new update.

So I re-set iPad back to factory settings after backing up to Laptop. Then downloaded http://jaxov.com/2015/03/download-ios-8-2-ipsw-for-iphone-ipad/

(Download iOS 8.2 IPSW With Apple Watch Support, Improvements & Bug Fixes [Direct DL] ) which I found on the internet.

That took ages to download but quick to install it.

Re-downloaded SD. But had forgotten to pair the GPS back to the iPad which is why initially it didn’t work.
Seemed to do the trick so took it for test it by taking it for a drive…… ok should fly but hey ho !!!

Whilst could “go flying” the compass followed car directions and location data didn’t disappear. So looks like sorted.

Don’t think I will be updating the iPad again, lol.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Yes, there is a known bug in 8.3 which effects external GPS devices. I suggest waiting a few weeks after a software release before upgrading – applies outside aviation too. It is frustrating being among the first to find a bug.

DMEarc

I have the same with my GNS externel GPS. And unfortunatly i have 4 Day holiday trip (VFR) starting tomorrow
How could you do it back to 8.2, they told this is not working for a Ipad Mini 2.

Lucas

Unfortunately the only way to disable the irritating update nagging is to jailbreak the device and do some hacks. On a rooted Android device this is quite easy, too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I solved the Problem with buying at Bad Elf at the AERO today…. but i should charge Apple for it…
Downgrade to 8.2 did not work even i did all steps as prescribed…

Potentially this is related to the firware version of the Garmin device too. Someone I fly with has upgraded to iOS 8.3 and this worked flawlessly with a Garmin Glo for a 3 day trip last week. Being more cautious I have not updated; in fact I specifically do not update my dedicated ‘aviation’ iPad until a new iOS has been out for a good while.

EGBP, United Kingdom

Welcome to the world of operating systems that must ensure backward compatibility with thousands of 3rd party devices. Apple was wise enough to avoid this as long as possible. But reality is finally catching up to them. The engineering complexity that Windows has to go through to achieve backward compatibility is insane, almost exclusively due 3rd party programming mistakes. It’s going to be worse with Wild-West operating systems such as Android.
Declining iOS and OS X Quality Imperil Apple’s Future Growth And Retention

United States

Unfortunately the only way to disable the irritating update nagging is to jailbreak the device and do some hacks.

Not necessarily with an iPad. You just don’t install the update and everything is fine. My private iPad is still running iOS 7 (the minimum required to run the current version of Jeppesen Mobile Flightdeck). No Jailbreak, no nagging, no nothing.

At our company, we try new versions for at least four weeks on a single device before updating the whole fleet (two iPads per aircraft).

EDDS - Stuttgart

This is something that already happened in the past. You have to disable “find location by wifi” (something to that effect) in the parameters as the iPad first tries to locate itself through the wifi network.

i just got this information from a friend at Apple:

- the problem will be solved with the next iOS update that is coming soon
- from iOS 8.3 you can use the internal GPS in flight mode too
(- the US military complained at Apple too)

28 Posts
Sign in to add your message