Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Introducing TEM (threat and error management)

Graham wrote:

I think most people’s gripe with TEM (on here) was that it presented itself as something totally new and revolutionary, when in actual fact it just seems to be a fancy word for keeping your wits about you and anticipating what might go wrong!

TEM is just about anticipating what might go wrong in the same way as CRM is just about the copilot speaking his/her mind.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Which bit of TEM could not be done as a checklist?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For the FAA licensed you can catch a good video under the Wings FAAST programme

https://www.faasteamtv.com/SafetyCenter/TEM2018/

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

If you know all the possible threats in advance, sure.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What I am getting at is what “threats” could surface preflight which could not go on a checklist?

• weather
  • notams
  • ATC denying a CAS transit
  • tiredness
  • cat got pregnant
  • last person who rented the plane was a known cowboy
  • etc

One doesn’t put most of this stuff on a checklist, but one could.

I see this as a trendy attempt to formalise the obvious. It is happening in every walk of life… No big harm, but let’s not pretend it is a better solution than anything before.

One could do it like this.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

We do a very situation-based TEM. Granted, it’s a multipilot operation, but I would see no problem applying it to a single pilot flight. Before taxi we discuss things that are out of the ordinary on that day and/or flight. Could be fatigue, certain departures and noise abatement (Zurich…), enroute (eg: those Cyprus-Turkey handovers), quirks of the aircraft.

I would not like to have that on a checklist as it would make it overly complicated, for my taste.

I like it as it forces you to not go into “routine mode” and actively think about what could go wrong apart from blowing an engine at V1, yada yada yada…

Last Edited by Alex at 09 Jul 17:12
LEBL, Spain

OK, but if you don’t have a “checklist” how can you be sure you haven’t forgotten something?

The reason I am “banging on this drum” is because I’ve been flying for 20 years (and have seen enough bollox in that to fill a lifetime) and been in business for 43 years (and seen enough bollox in that to fill three lifetimes) and I am naturally cynical of fashionable concepts / names for something quite old.

At the same time I am very capable of going through a 100 point checklist of what to pack for, and do before, a trip, and then walk out of the door leaving my phone on the charger. Why? Because it wasn’t on the checklist… and doing that would be a really major hassle.

Administrator

@Peter it isn’t a trendy safeguarding tick the box, but just a technique to pre visualise threats that you know are particular to that flight and how you are going to deal with them.

Very ingrained in multi crew and welcomed, somehow applied haphazardly in single crew. It is probably the main reason the airlines like MPL programs (and no not a money spinner for them).

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

In the beginning it was airmanship (a bit cowboyish).
Then it was dumbed down to defined checklists and briefings* (thinking inside the box).

*that, over time, transformed into LONG-ings (a mindless recital of anything and everything.

TEM goes hand in hand with keeping it short and simple (when it’s standard stuff, e.g. the 5th ILS approach to the same filed that day) and giving more thought to finding out what may be different, non standard, dangerous etc…

A bit like dark/silent cockpit philosophy. If it’s normal (switch indication etc..) , it’s not voiced. Only when it’s not how it should be, concern is raised.

You can do this in GA as well, it’s mostly a mental exercise and then adjusting a few knobs of your flight a bit.

Did a flight today in a 160hp Cherokee.

1) Threat: EFATO
Mitigation: Use more TODA
Departure runway direction normally goes to the south, towards empt space, but today it was to the north, right over densely populated area. My mind was made up that I’ll do a backtrack to get 2000m TODA instead of an intersection departure with only 1000m.

2) Threat: Heavy Glider Traffic (Weekend). I could see all kinds of TRAs open on Foreflight.
Mitigation: Avoided those areas, had FLARM traffic box, was in touch with ATC (Info) for traffic reports.

3) Error: Young kid aboard. Masters of distraction. Mitigation: Expected numerous „Dad, when are you starting the engine?, When are we taking off? etc…“ interrupts. I knew it was coming, so I dealt with it as expected (brought hard to chew candy, shuts them up well, and keeps ears popped, win win!

4) Threat: Atmospheric conditions, density altitude, flying a GAFOR valley route / Terrain.
Mitigation: Pre determined which ALT I want to have where, otherwise turn around. Additionally: Not many landing options in case of, so I planned to fly higher and the route a little longer, partially away from the GAFOR track, but therefore passing two airfields.
So the time without landing option was reduced from 30 minutes to 15, perhaps. Flying an extra 1000ft cost me some time and fuel to climb, but helps when SHTF.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Checklists & TEM are different animals, one is static & exhaustive and will require same high level of parrotting on all flights, one is tailored to the risks in the specific flight in hand and will require a high level of thinking,

I think both are useful and can be combined in “good airmaship” but I still beleive thinking about the risks in a specific flight offers better safety than treating them the same way on all flights…

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Jul 23:18
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message