Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Introducing TEM (threat and error management)

Dave_Phillips wrote:

I would call it Airmanship

Airmanship is outdated. How long since Tony Kern wrote his books???

It is a very vague term with many interpretations.

TEM is one of the attempts to bring a bit more clarity into the picture.

That’s a very good document – thanks hum. I put a local copy here

However while IMHO the writer deserves credit for formalising “common pilot sense” I am not sure I agree with the alleged effectiveness here

which based on this table

suggests that a lookout will pretty well prevent a mid-air. Well, 2 is a “minor incident” but I don’t see how you can have a “minor” mid-air.

That is the traditional “old school” approach… probably appropriate for the institution.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

which based on this table

I think you must base it on this table:

But they are lacking a column, instead of just “Risk” with one number they would need “Likelihood” and “Outcome” with one number each. Sometimes you can mitigate outcomes, like by taking along a raft, PLB etc. on a water crossing. Other times, you can influence only the probability, like by effecting a better airspace observation.

OK, but even then the value of 5 is wrong for mid-airs, because you could get 1000 pilots to fly around for 50 years with their windows painted black, flying random patterns, and probably there would not be a single mid-air. They tend to happen in concentrated spots, or in unusual circumstances.

Administrator

This local copy; the link will have changed very soon is interesting reading.

Not so much for what happened but the IMHO silly analysis, trying to make it fit the fashionable “TEM” narrative.

Administrator

Total lack of interest in this topic this time round, quite sensibly

Administrator

Not had a chance to look at this thread but TEM does seem to be something which is core in multi crew environment, and which has not been transferred to single crew training particularly well. Different SOPs have different mnemonics for TEM as part of the multi crew briefings, and TFR/CAS/Restricted/Danger would be part of the departure and descent brief.

I know there are separate threads on MPL training, but this is something which a good MPL programme will accomplish well. BTW airlines in Europe have re started initial base training, starting with the MPL pool. Basically having a good grounding in the specific airlines SOPs and the TEM briefs will place junior pilots in a good position.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I think most people’s gripe with TEM (on here) was that it presented itself as something totally new and revolutionary, when in actual fact it just seems to be a fancy word for keeping your wits about you and anticipating what might go wrong!

EGLM & EGTN

Exactly. In fact you could have a checklist for preflight actions.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message